dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: browser compatability

Hybrid View

browser compatability

hey guys,

developing a site thru DW and previewing it in my standard browser(s). When I preview it in : Safari/IE/Opera/Chrome the site appears as I'd like it. However, I'm getting a bit of issues with firefox. Why is this happening?

Have you validated your code?
    Have a link to the page with the problem?

My crystal ball is on xmas holiday.

Create all your html files for XHTML TRANSITIONAL FORMAT, that is most widely used.

You can set this in Edit>Preferences>New Document

If your site looks good in opera , it should look similar in IE AND FF,

but sometimes you have tweak the code.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmaster View Post
    Create all your html files for XHTML TRANSITIONAL FORMAT, that is most widely used.
    So? Does that mean if the OP uses HTML 4.01 Strict that he is doing something wrong?

it is just a recommendation, I am not telling he is doing anything wrong

It's an incorrect recommendation that you recommend that he use XHTML transitional because 'that's what everybody else is using'.

I used to use XHTML doctypes (strict almost exclusively) but then somebody (on this forum, I can't remember who) pointed out why not use HTML strict? What is using the XHTML allowing me to do with my pages that I can't do with HTML?

I suggest the OP think about the same things and do the research to find the answers when creating his page(s).

As far as web pages are concerned XHTML allows your users to more easily write programs that monkey with the page, extracting the information that is relevant to them. Away from the web it allows you to combine mark up languages. You pay, however, because XHTML is incompatible with HTML and HTML browsers.

This can become a big problem because behind the scenes your web server is telling browsers what type of document is being sent. And if the browser is expecting HTML and it gets XHTML things can get ugly. Oh, and MSIE doesn't understand XHTML as a type of HTML. It understands it as raw XML which is not an incorrect thing to do.

If you must use XHTML then you must follow the XHTML HTML Compatibility Guidelines. But if you are a Dreamweaver user, those guidelines will make no sense whatsoever so do use HTML 4.01.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Thread Information