www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [very urgent] how to surf through intranet website

Question [very urgent] how to surf through intranet website

Hi all,
    Am a rookie in web development. I have built some webpages which are interlinked.
    i have used <a href="file://localhost/E:/...."></a> tag for linking purpose.
    i can surf through my website smoothly on my pc, but when i try to access it from my friends pc it gives an error. [i.e. when i open my homepage its visible, but when i click on the link associated with other page on my computer it gives me an error.]
    can u help me out with this stuff?

[note that the both the pc are in our office connected in a network like lan etc..]

so why am unable to access the link pages on other computers in the network?

please let me know the solution its urgent.

If your running a windows PC and I bet you are... WAMP <-- look it up, install it and it will put on your system all you need to test serve your site prior to deployment.

The file:// ref you have is because your not reading your pages from a web server but from a file on your computer and it may work nice but trying to view it from another's PC will result in your error unless you have a web server running.

If your site is nothing more than HTML then your needs will be limited and I would suggest Abyss web server as this is a feature packed freebie that is from the stables of Apache or as I understand it, half the Apache foundation upped sticks and started their own web server which I have used in the past and is a very light client indeed. Installing it is a breeze, Apache unlees in a WAMP configuration can be a nightmare to the beginner.

Hope that helps you.

I've never had trouble installing apache on windows (they even provide the installer for pete's sake). http://httpd.apache.org/

My point is that WAMP has it all under one roof, makes life easy, its ready to go.

If your just looking for a web server to test out plain old HTML, you could go for http://analogx.com/contents/download...w/Freeware.htm as it is by far the simplest of servers to set up and run to test plain old html pages.

@JunkMale
    I was referring to this:
    Apache unlees in a WAMP configuration can be a nightmare to the beginner
    That is very misleading since in all but the most unique cases the installer with default values will have apache up and running in a flash. WAMP is way overkill for just hosting html files (no MySQL, PHP mentioned in the OP).

An alternative would be the version that runs from a USB, I had WAMP on a USB stick for a while and that was an all in one installer, not MySQL but sqlite on it.

Apache IMHO is an over kill, I can agree with you on that but in order for the devs who vend it, it makes sense to have as much ready to go rather than having the forums flooded with "how do I set up" because it is not the easiest of servers to fully config, lord knows, my first effort met with a few weeks of hair pulling just to get the thing running. Sure I was the It Works! notice, getting it set up was a nightmare until someone pointed me to the USB stick version and within minutes I was up and testing my site. I then found the analogx site and the simple web server which for what it is, does the job.

Yeah, although not mentioned, *sql and php... you can bet your rear end that the question will rise at some point.

Thread Information