www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: strange behavior with disabled select box

strange behavior with disabled select box

Hi,

Is it normal for a disabled select box to not pass its value through to $_POST?

I have two selects on my page.

The first select box if a certain value is selected it sets the value of selectbox2 and disables it but that selectbox2 then has no data when I check the $_post array when I want it to pass the data I just set it too?

Any ideas, or is there a better way of doing?

Thanks
    k0r54

Quote Originally Posted by k0r54 View Post
    Hi,

Is it normal for a disabled select box to not pass its value through to $_POST?

I have two selects on my page.

The first select box if a certain value is selected it sets the value of selectbox2 and disables it but that selectbox2 then has no data when I check the $_post array when I want it to pass the data I just set it too?

Any ideas, or is there a better way of doing?

Thanks
    k0r54
    It is not only normal, is what the w3c specification says it should do. You can set it to "readonly" instead. (You may have to do a little CSS fiddling if you want it to look the same as disabled.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I tend to add a hidden field with a value of 0 just before the checkbox (and named the same as the checkbox) when I want a value even if the checkbox is empty or disabled:

HTML Code:
    <input type="hidden" value="0" name="foo" />
    <input type="checkbox" value="1" name="foo" />

Hi,

Thanks for the input, I did notice that select does not actually have a readonly so to get around it I put it all into a span and i get the JS to hide the div but leave the select box enabled with the value i tell it.

Thanks
    k0r54

Thread Information