dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Linux to code PHP

Who uses Linux to code PHP

I used to use PHPDesigner on Windows ...but for about the past year I have been using Netbeans on Fedora, and sometimes use bluefish or kwrite for quick edits. I am surprised with the number of programming tools available.

I'm just curious to know what platforms everyone uses ...even if you are using Windows or Mac.

Linux is the only way to go for me. I used to use a mac at work but it found OSX too restrictive, and windows is.... well... crap to put it kindly. Have a look at Komodo btw, it's the best editor I've used to date.

Linux (CLI Only) on my server
    Linux (Gnome) on my desktop
    Linux (XFCE) on my laptop

For coding I use gedit

Linux (ubuntu) only - for PHP coding I use http://www.geany.org/ - great lightweight editor.

Server 1 (Ubuntu x86 - gnome - gedit/netbeans)
    Server 2 (Ubuntu x64 - gnome - gedit/netbeans)
    Laptop 1 (Vista x64 - netbeans/phpedit)
    Laptop 2 (Vista x86 - netbeans)
    Workstation 1 (XP pro - netbeans)
    Workstation 2 (Vista x86 - netbeans)

I choose to use netbeans for most development because many of my projects have multiple different sub-projects spanning different languages (Java, PHP, Flex, etc). That way I don't have to open many different applications to fiddle with the different source codes and then manually compile each one after the changes have been made.

I was brought up coding on Linux, now I'm forced to use Windows by my employer. I have got used to it but still run Linux on my laptop

Quote Originally Posted by chris22 View Post
    Linux (ubuntu) only - for PHP coding I use http://www.geany.org/ - great lightweight editor.
    I've been checking that out: if they finish half the stuff on the wish list, that is going to be one serious IDE for windows or linux, it's young but clean and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindzai View Post
    Linux is the only way to go for me. I used to use a mac at work but it found OSX too restrictive, and windows is.... well... crap to put it kindly. Have a look at Komodo btw, it's the best editor I've used to date.
    How was OSX too restrictive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindzai View Post
    Are you using the free editor, or the full IDE?

I used Ubuntu for a long time, sometimes switch to Windows. I used geany to code PHP since I'm now under the progress of learning, I also downloaded Komodo it's great too, but I can't tell much which is better for PHP since I'm also new in PHP.

Depends on your definition of better. I use Komodo at work because it has some advanced features that Geany doesn't have, but the downside of that is that it is quite slow to start up and it has one or two bugs.

So it seems the real issue here is the editor/IDE you like to use. The fact that it runs on Linux or doesn't is a side issue. If it runs equivalently (not necessarily a given, mind you) on Windows, Mac OS X, SunOS, or Linux; which OS to use would seem to be based on other criteria -- not invalid criteria, but a separate issue.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

My curiosity (based on an assumption that most members here program php at least on a part-time level) was whether people allow their current OS to dictate what coding environment they use...or vice-versa. Years ago, when I entered the field of developement, i settled on Using PHPDesigner as my IDE becuase It was hands-down the best bang for the buck i found, and with that it meant Windows was the OS. But now, with the way the linux world has as advanced and the software that is available, I find it more convenient and efficient to program on the same platform I develop for(red hat/apache). Now with my 2 computers at work I pretty much just use the windows box for Outlook and testing pages in IE. I was just curious as to what was popular and why, and if there is something out there I wasn't aware of yet.
    Last edited by hastx; 01-05-2010 at 11:54 AM.

I've always coded in a text editor with syntax highlighting and worked on either a local or remote server. I've never used an IDE. It was the multiple desktops that turned me into a Linux user in 2000 (remember Mandrake?), still a great feature that Windows lacks (and I've tried the very broken smart toy) . It was a great way to organize my work flow. I used to have 4 desktops on one monitor.

1 - email and IM (where I would receive work).
    2 - editors (write code)
    3 - FTP and SSH (connect and upload)
    4 - Browser (view)

So I could move the job smoothly in and out without clutter. It used to work great for me.

Now I accomplish a similar thing in Windows but have 3 huge monitors and extended taskbar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    So it seems the real issue here is the editor/IDE you like to use. The fact that it runs on Linux or doesn't is a side issue. If it runs equivalently (not necessarily a given, mind you) on Windows, Mac OS X, SunOS, or Linux; which OS to use would seem to be based on other criteria -- not invalid criteria, but a separate issue.
    It goes beyond that for me. I find the whole "idea" of how unix based systems work much more comfortable. Very subjective I know, but I just find it much more comfortable than working with Windows or OSX (despite OSX being fairly heavily unix based - it has too many quirks and restrictions for me). I also like the fact that my OS is very similar, if not the same, as most web servers I encounter. As I work at a computer for 8 hours a day at least, I have to be comfortable with the OS as a whole, aside from the development-specific aspects such as IDE software - even though that's where I spend most of my time.

Aside from that though there's just the fact that Windows is so bad in so many other respects, notably security.

Really it just comes down to preference though, using Linux was like a revelation for me (as an exclusively Windows user previously). Whenever I'm forced to use a Windows PC for some reason it feels like being trapped in a box!

Quote Originally Posted by SyCo View Post
    Now I accomplish a similar thing in Windows but have 3 huge monitors and extended taskbar lol.
    That's another big must for me, large multiple monitors. I don't know how I ever worked without them! I also use 4 virtual desktops as well as 2 large monitors, and having all that space is a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by Mindzai; 01-05-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Thread Information