dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help with picking javascript book intend for gaming

Need help with picking javascript book intend for gaming

I am trying to create an online game with others and javascript is a key part of it... I know java but not javascript - any suggestions for good books toward online gaming development? I have listed a few below i searched online.. any suggestions to any? thanks!

Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) by Nicholas C. Zakas

Head First JavaScript

Learning JavaScript, 2nd Edition by Shelley Powers

Learning PHP, MySQL, and javascript: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites (Animal Guide) by Robin Nixon

Beginning JavaScript by Paul Wilton and Jeremy McPeak

Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript by Jon Duckett (Paperback - Dec 30, 2009)

Beginning Scripting Through Game Creation by Jeanine Meyer (Paperback - Jan 25, 2008)

i would look into books that show how to use flash to build games; there's gotta be a lot more of those and the concepts are all the same.

i've never seen a good javascript book, but flanagan's rhino book is the best.

games are very complicated to build well. I would argue that games are the most complex software systems that single individuals use daily.
    think how much a gaming rig costs compared to a netbook....

general advise:

try to forget everything you know about java: it's only going to get you into trouble in javascript.

write down on paper detailed specs about the game BEFORE you code anything.
    i know it's fun to "jump right in", but i find that for larger projects, 1 hour of boring planning cancels 2-3 hours of frustrating testing/re-factoring. Build an API, unit tests, and documentation as you program.

look into server-side security. javascript gives a way the source, so you must take every measure possible to stop cheating. this cannot be done in javascript alone. XSS attacks could screw other players, so stop those also.
    Last edited by rnd me; 01-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.

we have some general document on it. Basically javascript for the front with php and mysql in the back. it will be a browser type game and not graphics intensive. Is javascript that bad for games?

It depends on what you are planning to use the javascript for. The source is exposed and can be altered by players so it shouldn't be used to calculate important things that might change a player's rank and such. Javascript for animation is just asking for trouble (crossbrowser issues, etc). Flash is king for animation and collision detection browser based games with Java/Silverlight(yuck) coming in close behind.

Thread Information