www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: preg_match_all problem

preg_match_all problem

Hello everyone.

I've been playing a lot of time experimenting on this preg_match_all. I have a problem regarding my preg_match_all to accept a "newline" or Enter. I tried to put \r\n still no luck. What am I missing?

PHP Code:
    if(preg_match_all('/[^a-z0-9~\.,$\s-\(\)!@#]/i'$announcement_post$invalid)) 
    Can't stand long hours coding in front of computer without being intoxicated.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the stated problem, but I suspect you want to escape the hyphen right after the "\s", as I'm assuming you want a literal hyphen there ("\-").

In any case, the newline and carriage return characters should be included in your "\s" character type, though the '\r\n' characters should also work.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Not sure if this has anything to do with the stated problem, but I suspect you want to escape the hyphen right after the "\s", as I'm assuming you want a literal hyphen there ("\-").

In any case, the newline and carriage return characters should be included in your "\s" character type, though the '\r\n' characters should also work.
    Thanks for your reply NogDog.

You're right I want to have a literal hyphen so I changed "\s-" into "\s\-". My only problem is the newline. My textarea won't accept it, say my input is:

Code:
    The quick brownfox.

And the lazy dog.
    The preg_match_all script I have invalidates this and returns a value of:

The quick brownfox.\r\n\r\nAnd the lazy dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post

Thanks for your reply NogDog.

You're right I want to have a literal hyphen so I changed "\s-" into "\s\-". My only problem is the newline. My textarea won't accept it, say my input is:

Code:
    The quick brownfox.

And the lazy dog.
    The preg_match_all script I have invalidates this and returns a value of:

The quick brownfox.\r\n\r\nAnd the lazy dog.

PHP Code:
    if(preg_match_all('#[^a-z0-9~\.,$ñ\s\-\(\)!@\#]|[\r\n]#im'$announcement_post$invalid)) 
    Not sure what you want, but this checks if any of those chars you originally checked for via the starts with/end with sequence OR any instance of \r or \n anywhere. I also used # delimiter to reduce the escaping and also added m pattern modifier on the end for multi-line parsing. Even if this isn't what you want, you can probably more easily make changes now.

-jim

Quote Originally Posted by SrWebDeveloper View Post
    PHP Code:
    if(preg_match_all('#[^a-z0-9~\.,$\s\-\(\)!@\#]|[\r\n]#im'$announcement_post$invalid)) 
    Not sure what you want, but this checks if any of those chars you originally checked for via the starts with/end with sequence OR any instance of \r or \n anywhere. I also used # delimiter to reduce the escaping and also added m pattern modifier on the end for multi-line parsing. Even if this isn't what you want, you can probably more easily make changes now.

-jim
    I was assuming that since the first character class is negated, it is listing all allowed characters, so the "\r\n" would be included within it:
    PHP Code:
    '/[^a-z0-9~\.,$\s\-\(\)!@#\r\n]/i' 
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestion works, however, I see the real problem is on my cleanString function.

PHP Code:
    $announcement_post cleanString($_POST['announcement_post']); 
    When I try to make it in like this:

PHP Code:
    $announcement_post $_POST['announcement_post']; 
    The preg_match_all works as you suggested.

This is the cleanString code:
    PHP Code:
    function cleanString($str$encode_ent false) {

$str  = @trim($str);
        if(
    $encode_ent) {

$str htmlentities($str);
        }
        if(
    version_compare(phpversion(),'4.3.0') >= 0) {
            if(
    get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {

$str stripslashes($str);
            }
            if(@
    mysql_ping()) {

$str mysql_real_escape_string($str);
            }
            else {

$str addslashes($str);
            }
        }
        else {
            if(!
    get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {

$str addslashes($str);
            }
        }
        return 
    $str;

Can you suggest of revision in this cleanString that would work on this matter?
    Last edited by kingdm; 01-17-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information