www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best schools for web development?

Hybrid View

Best schools for web development?

Hi,
    I'm considering a new career in web development; that is, I want to program web-based applications. I have a little professional background in web stuff like HTML, CSS and the like, and I have a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field under my belt. I'm thinking about going to grad school for web development. However, I don't know where to start. It doesn't seem like many universities have a degree called "web development" or "web programming," and I'd like to go somewhere top-notch. What are the best U.S. schools for web development?

You may feel that it's not worth it to go to school for programming, and I can respect that. But I think I may need the structure that a university provides, so if you can suggest some schools I'd appreciate it. Location is not an issue as long as the school is US-based. Thanks very much for this or any other info you can provide.

Sincerely,
    (Wannabe) Webber

I really enjoyed the CIS program at Devry. You can even take the classes online if you wish (though they are crammed into faster courses that way). One of the options for your focus track is web development. The basics required for the CIS course can prepare you pretty well for a number of systems/applications situations and give you the tools you can use to continue learning the specifics. The courses they use at Devry focus mainly on the conceptual rather than the specific so that you can apply the knowledge to new technologies (whether new to you or just new in general) as you come across them.

Aside from that plug I would say the best school for you is the one where you feel comfortable learning the material you feel you should know and where you learn how to find out the things you don't know right away as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    I really enjoyed the CIS program at Devry. You can even take the classes online if you wish (though they are crammed into faster courses that way). One of the options for your focus track is web development. The basics required for the CIS course can prepare you pretty well for a number of systems/applications situations and give you the tools you can use to continue learning the specifics. The courses they use at Devry focus mainly on the conceptual rather than the specific so that you can apply the knowledge to new technologies (whether new to you or just new in general) as you come across them.

Aside from that plug I would say the best school for you is the one where you feel comfortable learning the material you feel you should know and where you learn how to find out the things you don't know right away as needed.
    DeVry? Are you kidding me? Which campus did YOU go to?

I took most of my courses online. What is wrong with Devry? Their entire platform was completely refurbished in the last 5 years and is getting another refresh now. They even offer PHP courses (too bad they didn't when I went).

I was very disappointed in their webdesign courses. Where is image editing? Where was actual LEARNING HTML and CSS? I pretty much learned "conversational" C#, Java, VB.Net, and ASP.Net

The CIS program is not a graphic design program but a computer information systems program. What focus did you select and did you complete the program? Was it before they started supporting PHP and such?

Also certifications play a major role in Information Technology. Certifications from SUN, Cisco, Microsoft too would boost your chances.
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisranjana View Post
    Also certifications play a major role in Information Technology. Certifications from SUN, Cisco, Microsoft too would boost your chances.
    Certifications can be helpful to show that you have "current" technological understanding but I think a recent degree or course work at least show much better on a resume. I know at work we don't ask for certifications and don't give preference to those who have them. In the past certifications were a difficult thing to attain and maintain but these days in my area at least large groups of high school students are getting "certified" and entering the workforce without the required skillset(s).

certifications

Exactly.

Certifications should be acquired ON TOP OF getting a degree.
    A formal degree is a must and certifications will be like icing on a cake.
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice. Does anyone feel it's wortwhile to get a master's or is that just not done in this industry? If anyone can comment on the culture of the tech industry I'd appreciate it; for example, in my old career, the best schools for the field were prestigious private schools and ivy league schools; but getting the best jobs was all about politics and who you knew. Same in tech? What sets one programmer apart from the rest?

What sets one programmer apart from the rest?
    I would say it is the ability to stay fresh on concepts and learn new concepts quickly. In addition to having a solid foundation in computer systems in general always helps yet in the gran scheme it is the interpersonal skills and work ethic that make or break a hiring. Given 2 candidates with identical backgrounds (or even highly variant backgrounds) the candidate chosen where I work has to do with how they will fit within the culture of the company and how they will work with or against others already in the company.

I asked for the website design focus. And they certainly did not offer PHP.

Were you pursuing a BS or BA? A graphic arts degree is a BA degree (it would include things like image editing, creating, etc). Under the CIS degree (a BS degree, computer information systems specifically) there are multiple focuses including a "Web Development" track. The "Web Development" track includes databases, basic html/css, and a large focus on back-end systems. Typically a coder would take the "Web Development" track and a web graphic designer would pursue a BA degree specializing in Digital art.

I have a BS degree (and from what I got from the Calgary campus, the initials are oh, so appropriate)

I can understand that you'd be disappointed considering it sounds like you were looking for more of the graphical and front end training yet you pursued a back-end focused degree. I personally found I learned much more from the online classes than the on-campus classes. I also have to admit that I had already been working freelance for front-ends for web sites so I had a bit of knowledge under my belt before I started.

Thread Information