dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Tutorial Resources for Web Deployment/Publishing

Tutorial Resources for Web Deployment/Publishing

Hi! I've been doing development for nearly 10 years now but believe it or not, it has all been within corporate structures so I haven't had to do any 'heavy lifting'.

I NEED to find a simple tutorial on how to simply deploy a web site to a server using a remote DB connection. Every tutorial I've found has you create a SQL Express DB in the App_Data section to learn how to put the site together.

Well I want to be able to put this stuff on the Web and I can't for the life of me find something simple to show me how.

I know I will likely get flames or noob comments or whatever, however I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction on where to start. (I'm currently trying to put an MVC application up there and I keep getting errors from the Web.config regarding authentication).

Thanks in advance.

yes when you create asp.net website in visual studio, you will be creating data base in APP_DATA folder, this will work in your local system but when you try to host in the hosting environment, the hosting provider will give only one database(shared hosting)

so what you have to do is

in the web developer express go to database explorer (in visual studio go server explorer)

right click on the prefered database and select publish to provider

this will launch a wizard , follow the onscreen instructions. This will generate a complete sql script of your database.

use this script to create database in your hosting provider. Get the connection string from hosting provider and use in web.config file

the connection string may look like this in the web.config file

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=SERVERNAME;Database=DATABASENAME;user id=USERNAME;password=PASSWORD;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
    </connectionStrings>

now you can get a remote connection to your database,

just ftp your files to the hosting space and run your site.

you may have to modifiy your files according to the new connection string to.

good luck

Hi!

Actually I am able to connect to the remote database while developing. It is when I move the PAGES to the server that I begin to have trouble.

Here is the specific url: http://www.webfridge.info/LoL. As you can see, I have an error in the Web.config.

I can't even find where to manage the login stuff for this. I am just practicing so I really do not are about people logging in for one thing, but I do not know how to disable it. I simply commented it out and then got an error for the next line.

I will say that I did NOT create the DB in App_Data first, I just created tables remotely (and the DB seems to have the login tables there too. Apparently GoDaddy will autogen them for you if you want). Is that my mistake? Should I create it locally first?
    Last edited by Evie; 01-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Check the following:

In IIS, right click and go to the properties for the Virtual Directory. In the virtual directory tab, in the application settings box, click 'create' to add it as an application.

FWIW I developed locally with an instance of sql express, and then deployed to a VPS. I had a few teething problems with the database, mainly with permissions and usernames, and a couple of errors with IIS, one of which I believe you are having.

Hope this is of some help.

Well I use GoDaddy as my server so I don't have access to it's IIS and stuff. I did add a directory called 'lol' (it wouldn't take the capital letters).

I'm just at a loss. I'd really just like to have a tutorial that shows you what to do from beginning to end as far as deploying to a remote server.

Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    Well I use GoDaddy as my server so I don't have access to it's IIS and stuff. I did add a directory called 'lol' (it wouldn't take the capital letters).

I'm just at a loss. I'd really just like to have a tutorial that shows you what to do from beginning to end as far as deploying to a remote server.

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
    this is the error in the page...when you created this folder, in the godaddy control panel go to IIS settings and set that folder as application root.

deploying to the webserver is easy... but to demonstrate from starting to end is difficult in a forum.

and it is not the same in all the webhosting companies... in some companies the cp will be different.

what you are trying to do is the same in all servers.

just post your next error I will take care

cheers

Thread Information