www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problems with Drop-down Menu & Video Player

Cool Problems with Drop-down Menu & Video Player

Hello,

I need help in figuring out why the drop-down menus in the top navigation menu, are appearing behind the video player depending on what browser I use.

The page in question is: www.triumphantchurch.org/index1.html

The drop-down menus are under "About", "Ministries", and "Services."

Safari displays the drop-down menu on top of the video. This is what I want.

However, Flocks, IE, and Firefox display the menus behind the video. This is what I do not want.

I'm not a real Web designer. Meaning, I never attended classes. Just know enough to be dangerous. LOL! But I'm what the Lord provided!

Thanks for your help!

Try adding a z-index to the ul tags for each dropdown.

I agree, but z-indexing only works with elements that have a declared position.
    http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_pos_z-index.asp
    To work properly be sure you have a declared position for the parent container. From a previous post:
    The thing missing from your positioning is that unless the parent element also has a declared position, the child will do 1 of 2 things.
    If position:relative, it will position as desired but space will be left as though that element was still in the natural flow. So you may move the 500 X 100 element down and over, but a 500 X 100 space will be left, as though it was still there.
    If position:absolute, child is positioned relative to browser window and that position does not change even if window contracts or expands.
    Best of luck to ya!
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

What's a "z index"?

Thanks for your reply!

I'll try the "position:absolute" and let you know what happens!

Thank you!!

May the Lord continue to bless you in Christ Jesus!

Question

Hello,

I tried your suggestions below. They did not work Or, rather, I probably don't know what I'm doing and that's why they didn't work. LOL!

If you or anyone else can think of anything else, please advise.

I don't know this stuff. It's beyond my skills. So I'm just stuck with the drop-down menu showing behind the video player.

The page is at www.triumphantchurch.org/index1.html

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

For some reason with the Safari browser, the drop-down shows in front of the video player. Which is what I want. With other browsers, it does the opposite.

Thanks much1

Adding css z-index with a position element will allow you to have elements on top of each other. Take a look at http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...ehensive-look/

Thread Information