dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: overflow auto

overflow auto

normally when i have a container div which for example has 2 inner divs floating left i usually float the container set it with a width and set height as auto so that as the height of any of the 2 inner divs increases the container div automatically increases

for the 2 inner divs i write
    #outerdiv .innerdiv1{
    float: left;
    width: 400px;
    height: auto;
    }
    #outerdiv .innerdiv2{
    float: left;
    width: 500px;
    height: auto;
    }

however i have seen a code for such a situation wherein the container is mentioned as
    #containerdiv{
    overflow: auto;
    }

here the containerdiv is not set to float left and no width and height specified and only a single line as overflow: auto

my question instead of setting a float left, width of some value and height to auto for the containerdiv what is the need to use #containerdiv{ overflow: auto;} what advantage would it give if i were to have instead as #container{float: left; width: 900px; height: auto;} which i usually do

please advice

thanks

The real difference is in how a long string of text is handled. If you have an unbroken string of text which exceeds the 900px normal behavior allows the string to leave the division boundries and continue over the adjoining division. Overflow:auto suppresses the text over 900px and creates a scroll bar to allow you to view the remainder.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

Thread Information