www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Customizing your search engine results

Customizing your search engine results

The best way I can put this is, if you go into Google, and just type "ebay"

the first result will be ebay, and it will have its own little space underneath it with options to click on such as:

My eBay Sporting Goods
    Motors Toys & Hobbies
    Electronics Home & Garden
    Clothing, Shoes & Accessories Jewelry & Watches

More results from ebay.com >>

How would I do this for a website?

I've tried googling this, searching it on this forum, but I may not be using the right key words to bring up anything about it.

ANY help is appreciated

Thanks!

These are called sitelinks. Google will only show them if they could be helpful for the Google user.

Usually you won't get them the first 2 year, however you help Google by giving them a good navigation structure on your website. Once you got these sitelinks you can adept them in webmastertools under 'Siteconfiguration -> Sitelinks'

If you need any more information please let me know

Christophe

I believe that doing some seo submissions for your adjacent pages, not only for your homepage also helps in this...

ahh, so I logged into my Google Webmaster Tools, and clicked on 'Site configuration' on the left, then 'Sitelinks' and this is what it says:

"Google has not generated any sitelinks for your site. Sitelinks are completely automated, and we show them only if we think they'll be useful to the user. If your site's structure doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks are relevant to the user's query, we won't show them. However, we are always working to improve how we find and display sitelinks."

Do you guys know of any 'google sitelink friendly' and 'seo friendly' drop down menu templates I could use? possibly css?

The site has been up since 2003 and we get over 1200 visitors a month. We have pretty decent SEO on our main keywords.

Thanks a bunch guys!

I heard ... but I'm not sure about this ... that it helps if you put links in the footer to the main parts of the website. Google compares the links in the footer with the main navigation links and take those who are in both menu's.

But like I said, I'm really not sure about this ...

Christophe

Thread Information