www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get all of my stuff onto a new computer?

How do I get all of my stuff onto a new computer?

Hi

I am about to buy a new comp' and I don't know how I will transfer evrything from my present computer to the new one

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks

What you want transfer,

if just the datafiles, then write in a DVD and transfer it to the new computer.

or buy a USB external hard drive and copy paste,

Acronis. Do a full backup of your old computer and copy that backup file to your new computer. This is especially helpful is you have a very vast, disorganized number of files that are all over your computer.

Whenever you need something, just mount the backup image and browse through it like it's another harddrive. It's really an absolutely amazing backup program.

Also on the plus side, if your new computer has the same operative system as your old one, you can just "restore" the backup file to your new computer and voila, everything will be identical to your old computer - even your programs!

If you just copy your files to a DVD, then you won't be able to copy your programs over to your new computer and will have to reinstall everything.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Thanks guys.

My present computer runs win 2000 - am I likely to encounter any problems transferring everything to a win7 OS ?

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    Thanks guys.

My present computer runs win 2000 - am I likely to encounter any problems transferring everything to a win7 OS ?
    Not if it's a new computer. Just keep in mind that all you can transfer are personal files; any software that you want to keep can't be transferred and it has to be reinstalled from the installation files on your new computer.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Has anyone heard of this PCMOVER? http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverhome.html

!

Save yourself the money and find an online service that will allow you to upload all the files you want to keep. Your alternative would be to invest in web space which is often cheaper and you can then upload your files to the backend out of the public view.

USB sticks are really cheap, a nice 8GB one would cost you the same as a Laplink cable and in the long run you have a nice bit of hardware for your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Has anyone heard of this PCMOVER? http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverhome.html
    I had much, much better luck with Zinstall XP7. I know it can transfer XP to Windows 7, worked perfectly for me - but since you have 2000, I'd suggest giving them a call before buying (although I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work).

Invest in an external USB HDD or as some people call them, life boxes.

You then run a back up to that drive.

You then can load up your files from it on to the new computer.

If your prepared to fork out £29 on a cable that TBH just is not worth the money, I have one, not that make but similar, your better off sticking the additional £20 to it to get a 320GB external HDD, I have seen some 500GB External drives starting from £59 as well.

Much better investment and also something that you can use to store data on.

The alternative is a large capacity USB stick.

If you really want to save money, your other option is to use a cross over patch lead to link the PC's together and manually configure the IP addresses and transfer either as a share (networked) or set up FTP server on one machine and FTP client on the other and copy files that way. A cross over patch lead should not cost you more than £7, you could make one with minimal tuition and the right tools.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

First go through your stuff

Most of the suggestions are very practical. As for me I like to copy everything into my USB. Only one advice, first see whether you need everything that you are copying. You will see that there are many documents which are not that important which you can omit. Create a folder and first copy all essential things there and then copy that folder to your USB or anything else you are using to copy things to your new computer.

Thanks again everyone.

I am going to buy an external Hard drive. Can anyone say if I will be able get software that I have bought and downloaded from the web over to the new computer by using the EHD ?

In the majority of cases, you will not be able to copy the software to the EHD and then use it on your new computer.
    The software will have to be installed, possibly with registration codes, on the new computer.

Why buy a EHD when Easy Transfer will do this for you?
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    In the majority of cases, you will not be able to copy the software to the EHD and then use it on your new computer.
    The software will have to be installed, possibly with registration codes, on the new computer.

Why buy a EHD when Easy Transfer will do this for you?
    BUT... You still have to install the programs, only the "Settings" are copied to the EHD, CD/DVD-R, cable or chosen media device.

Can I just get this straight guys. Are you saying I will have to re-purchase any software I have bought and installed from the net for the new computer?

Thread Information