0 0%
  • 3 hours

1 10.00%
  • 5 hours

2 20.00%
  • 7 hours (Coffee much?)

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you spend developing a website?

How long do you spend developing a website?

A nice little poll of how long our peers spend time on web development.

You might want to be a little more specific. Do you mean the design? The design and the subsequent HTML/CSS to bring it to life on the web, application development, PHP-MySQL powered dynamic site, eCommerce site, single coding session?

Yep, I suspect we need a bit of clarification here as to what you mean by "develop a web site," as I can't think of one I've done that comes in under the highest value in the poll (7 hours) for what I consider to be web site development. Heck, 7 days is often not enough.

PS: It occurs to me that perhaps you are asking how much time we spend per day doing web site development?
    Last edited by NogDog; 01-26-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Also, if the page is eCommerce, Photo sharing, or just an "all about me". The type of site makes a big diff. The question is too vague. Nearly anyone can put an HTML page together fast. But to develope it to someone's needs? Time.

Size matters ...

7 hours or less for a simple web site with maybe 5 pages of static content might be realistic. However, if you begin adding dynamic behaviors, with javascript or vbscript, it begins to mushroom quickly due to testing needs. Then, if you add client/server interactions: database lookups, security, content management for dynamic content, etc using php, jsp, asp, or AJAX and it grows more.

Then there is the issue of content. Who's writing it? Who's collaborating to write it? Structure and behavior are one thing ... adding the 'copy' is quite another.

Add to that graphic development in PhotoShop (or whatever), Flash development (if needed, with its associated ActionScripts) and you can add a lot more hours.

Seems to me the question is very naive and the choices reflect very little understanding of what web development entails.
    Last edited by javawebdog; 01-26-2010 at 05:40 PM.

I'll spend seven hours tweaking the graphics 'till they're just right. As for the coding, that's another story.

I can manage 7-10 hours if it's a simple "template" site, but for a custom job - a week would be average.

I've spent seven hours staring at my computer before finding out I missed an opening brace in my javascripts. I find those days hard to take.....

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    I've spent seven hours staring at my computer before finding out I missed an opening brace in my javascripts. I find those days hard to take.....
    I've spent seven hours staring at my computer trying to figure out why I'm doing this and if there isn't something better I could be doing with my life.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

This depends.

It really depends on the site. If we're talking about HTML only, it could take a couple hours to days, depending on the site's complexity.

It really varies depending on the complexity and importance of the site.

Between 1 minute and 1 decade, depending on the project ...

I guess to completely develop a website, it may take upto 15-20 days depending on complexity.

It depend on project guys!

7h at least for very simple thing... static one ....

My current work-project is projecting about 3 years of development. I think we'll probably have the equivalent of about 4 FT folks (probably more) on the project throughout its course, not including content production. So, if we assume 1 month off per year for each employee, we get

4 (FT employees) * 40 (hours/week) * (52 - 4) (weeks/year) * 3 (years) = 23040 hours.

... after which, we'll probably begin work on planning to scale and update the site to accommodate traffic increases, new standards, and new trends in web development and the business.

Thread Information