www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: WebCritic.eu review

WebCritic.eu review

URL: http://www.webcritic.eu

Project WebCritic.eu is designated to all web designers (amateurs and profesionals). The idea is simple. Submit your own website and let others to express their opinion, rate it and suggest improvements. It is the simplest way to know, what people really think about your website.

Using Windows XP, IE6 with resolution 1024x768 leaves your site looking like the attached image.

I would suggest looking at using less fixed divs, the 'z-index' command and creating an overall 'main' div to sit all of the content inside, to help re-size the content rather than make it overlap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would suggest not using 10 years old browser...

Not my browser, I have the latest version at home. I am currently browsing from a work computer.

Any decent web designer would try to accomodate for earlier versions of IE anyway, it's hardly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Haze1434 View Post
    it's hardly difficult.
    Who are you trying to impress? I'm not saying you have to break your back to do it, but let's not pretend it's a simpleton task either...

Quote Originally Posted by sokolik View Post
    I would suggest not using 10 years old browser...
    If you aren't going to support it, then maybe you should tell your visitors that.
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 02-03-2010 at 04:58 AM.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

I apologise, I went counter-defensive after the defensive remark made by sokolik.

If you don't wan't to hear what's wrong with a website, why post it on a review forum? And also, I believe we are testing on all operating systems, using all versions of browsers. Best way to review a site is to use the older, more rubbish browsers, as a personal opinion.

I would suggest that there are too many remarks in your coding to tell divs exactly where to sit on the page in relation to the top, bottom, left and right. Perhaps look at using a liquid layout and position the divs inside of liquid areas, or change the z-index so that even if they do overlap, the site would still be useable in older browsers.

Are you (sokolik) aware that your site breaks (horizontal scrollbar) even at a 1024x768 resolution? This is the most popular resolution on the web (source: http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php)

I like the design of your site, but you've got to make this puppy a little bit more fluid. The best thing I can think of is applying a min-width followed by a width = some % to you center column. At least this should fix the problem of breaking at 1024x768.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Thread Information