www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: The infamous inline-block property

Hybrid View

The infamous inline-block property

I've been reading more and more about the shaky support for inline-block, and I was wondering if anyone knew a good solution to dealing with variable WIDTH content for this kind of display that would work with the problem browsers (IE6 and 7 and earlier versions of Firefox than 3.5)?

The page I have set up as a tester at the moment is:

http://www.ronalesser.com/tableprototype.html

Feel free to look at the source code. I am not using tables for this purpose because of two things: each line needs different cell widths (which means that each line would need a new table), and for some reason it seems that some versions of IE don't like to add tables via document.createElement (though that's another story, since this is the css forum, not Javascript).

I am, of course, a new developer -- DHTML is my bread and butter, but I'm still learning my way around these cross-browser issues.

Thanks,

Ian

Have you tried float?

IE has no problem with adding tables with dom methods if valid (complete) tables are created.

float and tables in IE

Actually, I'm exaggerating a bit when I say IE didn't like rendering tables. I think the page I tried it on worked fine in IE 8, but had some problems in IE 5-7. Maybe there was another issue. As far as I know, it was lexically correct (<table><tr><td></td></tr></table>).

I'll see what I can do with just using float instead.

This is correct
    Code:
    <table><tbody><tr><td></td></tr></tbody></table>

inline-block works fine in IE for elements than can legitimately be block displayed.

Thread Information