www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE problem with cross domain iframe resize

IE problem with cross domain iframe resize

I'm using some javascript that senses the presence of an id on a page, creates an iframe containing cross domain content if it finds it and also resizes the iframe. It works great in FF, but IE stumbles if there's more than one iframe requested (especially IE6).
    If someone knows a better way to get IE to co-operate with this set up, I'd appreciate the help. An acceptable alternative would be to only create one iframe at a time (which IE can handle), by using a link to trigger the iframe creation. I just can't figure out how to get that to work.
    The cross domain resizer uses the frame manager trick, the rest is homespun.
    Code:
    <!--JS THAT RESIZES IFRAMES-->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="documents/FrameManager.js"></script>
    </script>
    <!--POSTS-->
    <script>
    var post2 = document.getElementById('post2');
    if (document.getElementById('post2')) 
    {
    document.write('<iframe id="com2"  name="com2" class="comments" name="com2"  src="http://mysite.com/dOcuments/comments.html" onload="FrameManager.registerFrame(this)"  scrolling="auto" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" style="overflow:visible;  width:100&#37;;  "></iframe> '); 
     post2.appendChild(document.getElementById('com2'));
    }
    </script>

I don't believe I can help much, other than to suggest using percentages instead of pixels for the iFrame size.

I personally used iFrames for a while, but due to their lack of usability, they are terribly impractical, and I would suggest not using them and looking for something else that does what you want.

If you are looking to include just a section of information from another page, rather than load an entire page within the iFrame, you may want to reseach the #include command.

If not, there is some information about alternatives to iFrames here.

Sorry if that didn't help.

Hazel,
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately we can't use php or any kind of server side scripting with this particular project. Iframes do the job and you can see in Firefox the iframe id's and sizes being run in the address bar, but IE gets stuck and just bounces between two id's endlessly and never completes the resize script. It works fine with only one iframe but that's not an option, unless we use a link to create and resize one iframe at a time.
    I should add we have access to the source site.

Hey Fang,
    The resize script I was using is the same thing, but now doesn't appear to work in FF or IE!
    Last edited by avdistribution; 02-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Ok, it's the exact same script but I must have messed something up when I uploaded it again. Back to sqaure one-works in FF, not in IE.

Thread Information