www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: progress bar animation (processing.gif) in sync and async mode

progress bar animation (processing.gif) in sync and async mode

Hi,

I use both sync and async modes.
    Before starting any ajax request i display a processing(rotating) gif icon to show that the request is in progress.
    when i get the response i will hide the animating gif to show that the process has completed.
    this works fine with async and sync mode of ajax in FF but not in IE.

If i use sync mode. that is AJAX.open('GET','path.php',false); in IE the gif file is not visible
    because IE is not displaying it. Basically this is also correct because that is the way sync is meant to.
    If it is sync mode then no other process will take place until the browser gets the response.
    Were as in async mode the request is threaded so other processes are not affected.

But FF displays the animated gif for both the modes of ajax. and IE displays the animated gif only for async request.
    If anybody know the reason behind then please post your replies. 'cause i have simplified most of my projects by using sync mode of ajax.
    But in IE the progress (processing) animation is not visible so the user will not know what is happening till the browser gets the response.

So, i hope that i have to stick with async mode. in sync mode you can write code in a few lines and it is very easy to have various type of functions which could return bool, array, object etc... since you get the result in the LHS... but that is not the case in async mode... we need to do a lot of gimmick to have a prototype of ajax...

also if i could have references to sites which explains ajax in complete detail then i will update my idea of ajax.

Why don't you show the loading animation before opening the connection with AJAX? It seems to me that would fix the issue.

yes

The gif is already being animated. it is just hidden. before creating ajax instance i an change the style to visible.

I have same problem.. T-T

I have same problem above it. But, you may misunderstand the situation.

In Sync-mode Ajax calling at IE,

ProgressBar (animated gif) wad displayed absolutely But we did not see

because of IE's stupid response time.

Just before you calling Ajax, try this code.

alert("progress");

and you can see the progress bar below alert window.

While calling Ajax with Sync-mode, Only IE act like stopped so any object did not be displyed properly.

if you calling some enough long-timed command, you can see what happend exactly.

I'm seriouly worried about this problem and have not found any good solution about it.

Open popup as panel progress bar was animated. it works fine. but I'm not satisfied at all.

Why are you using sync versus async? Is there a good reason why you can't use the method that works every time instead of the buggy one? Maybe there is something missing in the code. Can you post the relevant sections and/or a live link?

The reason why I'm using SYNC-mode is..

the reason why I'm using sync-mode is limitation of client-calling.

In Async mode, clinet can call request twice at once, so...

It makes server very busy. I want to hide this situation .

Quote Originally Posted by nayasis View Post
    the reason why I'm using sync-mode is limitation of client-calling.

In Async mode, clinet can call request twice at once, so...

It makes server very busy. I want to hide this situation .
    I would suggest implementing a limit of the number of outgoing calls in your code. SYNC mode only prevent your code from being responsive while waiting on a response from the server. I would check for existing connections and create a queue if you are that worried about server load.

here is the answer for a previous criterion9 question

Why are you using sync versus async? Is there a good reason why you can't use the method that works every time instead of the buggy one? Maybe there is something missing in the code. Can you post the relevant sections and/or a live link?
    i had functions which would work like the following

Code:
    if(ajaxRequestBool('ajax.php','action=getstatus"))
    alert("registered");
    else alert(not registered);
    i have wrapped ajax request in such functions and i have many like that.

all those are by using sync mode...

Thread Information