www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can I automate a webserver?

Can I automate a webserver?

I'm looking to try and run a webserver through Godaddy. I want it to run linux and I want to be able to give the linux os C+ commands to do automated tasks. Is this possible with a server that normally is supposed to run a website? Or should I looik to rent out a more expensive, dedicated server?

What I want to do is like what that one website service does (can't remember the name of it). You send the website link and then the website visits your link that you gave it to take pictures from multiple different resolutions. You can view like, 20+ resolutions of your website so you can see how it would look to various different people with different monitors. How would I go about doing something like that, but I only want to automate pictures being taken through 1 resolution. How would I do any of this? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I would ask GoDaddy if they support system commands through the virtual hosting environment. If not then you'll need to find another host if that is the way you want to do it. You could complete all those return calls to external servers during a single request...however, constructing the screen shots could be a chore depending on how you want to accomplish it.

Well I don't think your going to get the resources unless you buy a dedicated server, then you can remote install all the software you want.

Shared or virtual hosts have limit on memory, script execution time and other factors like certain PHP elements are disabled for security reasons.

Thread Information