dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to do I Resolve Relative Server Links When my HTML Source is not on Server

How to do I Resolve Relative Server Links When my HTML Source is not on Server

I would like to open an html file locally (not fetch it from a server) and somehow use javascript to fetch the relative resources from the server.

One solution would be to convert all of the relative links to absolute links. I can convert the html source file anyway I wish, but ideally I would like to modify the html source as little as possible, for example insert a function that modifies the result of the src attribute.

How would I go about this? Is there any trick I can use to define where the relative home is? Am I going to get into any scripting security gotchas?

Thanks

You can use the html <base> element, in the head of the document, to resolve any relative links on the page.

http://w3schools.com/tags/tag_base.asp

you won't be able to fetch linked resources using ajax from a file-based html document.
    you can link to images, stylesheets, and javscripts on the remote server, but not html documents.

thanks.

base element looks like exactly what I need.

Thread Information