www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Sound files on Website with IE8

Sound files on Website with IE8

I can't seem to get sound files to come up with a player on a webpage in IE. I used the object tag and it works fine with no problems in Firefox, but try as I may I can't get it to work in IE8. I'd like to accomplish this without using any depricated tags. Anyone have any ways of doing this.

Also if anyone knows of a way we could just prevent anyone on earth from using IE that would also be helpful.

If you are using a "player" then the Web browser will need a plug-in to match the player. Fill in some more details and post a link to the page and we'll take a look at the code etc.
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

I went a different way using a yahoo player and links to make it work for now, but what I had tried was this where filename.mp3 was my file. On firefox this worked perfectely as expected. ON IE it wouldn't work. I searched and found it needed parameter tags and I put those in but it still wouldn't work.

Code:
    <object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="fileName.mp3" width="200" height="16" autoplay="false">
    </object>
    This is what I had with the parameter tags in:

Code:
    <object type="audio/x-mpeg" data="fileName.mp3" width="200" height="16" autoplay="false">

<param name="src" value="fileName.mp3" />
    <param name="controller" value="true" /> 
    <param name="autoplay" value="false" />
    <param name="autostart" value="0" />
    </object>
    The page is www.fordefi.com/harmonicarecordings.php

What's the format of the sound file you try to play? If you try to embed a WAV file, and use the Windows media player component to play the file, it won't work for all browsers as only MSIE got such support, and the windows media player is an extra plug-in.

Instead you should consider play a sound file using a flash music player, which is supported by most browsers with cross-platform support. And you can directly play MP3 files, or create a playlist of files to play.

Thread Information