www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: newbie needs help for easy database..please

Unhappy newbie needs help for easy database..please

hi i want to create a simple intranet search engine to search a few powerpoint documents. I want to be able to search a keyword and have the machine scan my powerpoint document contents and bring back a page with all the documents concerned.
    I would like to use dreamweaver but apparently i need to use something else, i'm looking for someone who can tell me the easiest simplest way to do my search engine all this is happening on my macintosh environment , with internet explorer as the software to run my search engine.
    do you know any operating scripts available ?

thanks in advance for your replies !!

If it were me, I would set up mySQL on the system and install PHP. Then using a combination of javascript, html and PHP you could make a single web app to run from your browser to add documents, search documents, etc. You could probably also accomplish this using SSI and Java (not to be confused with JavaScript, there is a difference) to read in the .doc files and then search, but I am more experienced with using PHP and mySQL.

An easy alternative if you don't know how to code this would be to get yourself a free web host and set up a private BBS such as Invision Power Board or InvisionFree. You would have to copy each of your docs and paste them in as posts, but then you could use the board's search feature to find the document you need.

There are also many free content managers available on the web. Try doing a google search for "free content manager" and you should find some pretty flexible software.

In either of these cases (using outside software), you could optionally set the software up on your own machine as opposed to the free web server idea. I just included that in case you didn't know how or did not want to invest the time it would take to install the required components (such as mySQL). Hope this helps!

~ LAwebTek
    Play Zoo Tycoon? Get new animals, objects, paths and more at http://zootek.us

Sorry for double post - refreshed the wrong page
    Play Zoo Tycoon? Get new animals, objects, paths and more at http://zootek.us

Thread Information