www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please help! I'm bad at this stuff :)

Please help! I'm bad at this stuff :)

I have to create a quick website for my class. When are my professors going to realize that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to websites?

Anyway, my assignment is to build a website based on an existing designer. I chose Paul Sahre. I need to make a site that is similar to http://www.spreadintheluv.com/customize.html# however, instead of clicking on the color swatches and the image changes, I need the entire background to change to that color or pattern. I would also like to keep the "input text here" form but I don't want it to say "custom luv" in the box, I want that to be empty. Also, I would like to put an image of Paul Sahre's work were the existing "I love you" sign is (the one that is being customized), and underneath I need a button that says "next" and "previous" so the viewer can change the image once he or she is done looking at it. I can input the images myself because I have already chosen the ones I want to use for this project. The point of the site is that the viewer can look at images of Paul Sahre's work and customize it by giving it their own title, and changing the background that the image sits on.

If anybody could help me it would be great! THANK YOU TO WHOEVER HELPS!

I guess this is more than just javascript, its HTML and CSS too. I hope this isn't too complicated.
    Last edited by hpinheir; 03-22-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I would have thought that if you want help to do your class assignment, the least you could do is at least start it yourself and do as much as you can before posting your code and ask for help.

But the little black duck ain't gunna do it for you (at least not for free )

Good luck

Get permission to use the graphics, whoever you get to build your site.

Well I have firebug and I studied his website, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I have never taken a web design course, so I don't understand a lot of it. I guess I can try my best to figure it out myself. I just thought it would be something easy that someone could help me figure out. I thought someone could tell me how to do the basic coding for it and I would do the rest myself. If you don't want to help me there is no need to post on my thread. I'm a student and I'm just asking for help, why does everything have to be about money?

mrhoo, I do know that piece! I already ran the first idea by my professors and they want me to do that. It's too late to change it now. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Usually when students post here at this forum we usually like them to provide the work in progress so we can help guide them to better coding and best practices without just blindly giving direction. This helps us to know what level they may (or may not) be at so we know what level of help they may need. Sometimes we can provide just a little bit of guidance for a project that is already started that can help the student to find the information for themselves (which is always much more valuable than just getting the correct answer in one case).

Have you looked at any tutorials for HTML, CSS, or Javascript yet? Have you done a visual mock up in a graphics program? It sounds like you have started figuring out the general requirements for your site so far.

You're probably going to have to have copies of the graphics in each color you want to offer. The colored blocks could be image links and you could use show/hid divs, which are Javascript, to interchange the corresponding color block to matching graphic. I'm just putting this out as a starting point of how to achieve that effect. This site (below) has some good demonstrations of how to do this...as a visual learner myself, the site really helped me out.

http://bonrouge.com/~imageswitch#n (toggling images)
    http://bonrouge.com/~switchcontent3 (toggling content)

I'm going to post what I can as soon as possible to show you guys what I know how to do, then maybe somebody can help me from there.

Yes I have looked at tutorials, and I have done a visual mock up in Photoshop and Illustrator. My professors are telling me just to google the things I need to know (they are not web designers so they can't offer me any information). They just kind of threw us into this project without any knowledge about web design. Oh well.

It's just a school assignment. I didn't mean to offend anyone on here or expect you to do it for me. This is the last time I'll use this forum for help. Sorry.

Thread Information