www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Won't pass to PayPal in Firefox

resolved [RESOLVED] Won't pass to PayPal in Firefox

Works fine in IE, usually is the other way around.
    Haven't worked on formatting much yet, still trying to get the workings working.
    http://www.ihatemyfurnace.com/goodman.html
    Use the sample model number "gmp0503".
    After submit it writes a cookie and takes you to a page where all of the parts pictures and numbers are dynamically generated. Then you add your parts to your shopping cart and click the checkout button.
    Firefox always ends up at PayPal with an empty cart. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem.
    The cart script I got from http://simplecartjs.com
    Pretty simple to implement but I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Gary

Should I post more info?
    Somebody here helped me once with the "switch" and "case" statements.
    Let me know how I can present it better.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Here is a link to the external script http://ihatemyfurnace.com/simplecart.js
    It's the only one used in this page.

I sure could use some help on this...... Anyone?

Do you have a link to a live page? It'd be a lot easier. Download Firebug for firefox, if you haven't already, and run through your checkout routine with the Firebug console open - if at any point in time an error message shows, even for a brief second before you go on to the next page, then there's your problem.

Thanks, I will try that.

Wow, I have no idea what firebug is showing me. How do I tell if firebug is showing an error?

So here's what you do.

Click on the little beetle type thing in the bottom right of your browser (I'm sure you've already done this). This has to be done before any page loads take place and once it is open, leave it open throughout your process.

Click on the Console Tab. Click the little arrow next to it, make sure it is enabled and set it to show only Javascript errors. If the console is loaded up with stuff that isn't errors when your page loads (you'll know an error because of the red "X" icon that shows up next to it, as opposed to a blue "i" icon), then push the "Clear" button just to get rid of the unnecessary information.

AJAX requests show up as either POST or GET with a URL, status, and time (in ms or s) next to them. To view the detailed ajax request (parameters being passed and response being received) just click on it.

If you're unsure of what you're seeing, just click on the bottom of the firebug window (in a blank area) and drag your cursor so that everything is selected, and then you can copy and paste it here.

Good luck!
    Last edited by aj_nsc; 03-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Ok, trying that....

I see no errors. I think I set it the way you said.
    Firebug follows along until I press "pay with paypal". It doesn't follow me there. But the console doesn't show anything at all.
    I have no clue....
    I'm a "copy n paste" scripter, I don't write much of my own original code. Mostly I just change existing code to suit me.
    This firebug thing is waaay over my head.

So the script is pretty straightforward - store everything in cookies, and then pass it all to paypal in the URL when the buyer goes to checkout.

First thing, is the cookie getting set in firefox? The name of the cookie is 'simpleCart'

Download and install the Web Developer toolbar for firefox, if you haven't already. Then go to your site and click on Cookies -> View Cookie Information. You might or might not see anything. Then try and add something to your cart and then, go back and check again and see if there's a cookie called 'simpleCart' with info about the item you added in it.

I'd say the problem is in setting the cookie. But in reality, it could be absolutely anywhere. A link is the best way we can help.

The link is in my first post...

Well, I've got some bad news for you. It doesn't work in IE. 6 Maybe, I didn't test it, but not in 7 and 8. It's closer to working in Firefox than in IE7 or 8.

Also, I think figured out the issue completely with Firefox. You're naming the item and the part number with font tags. If you remove these font tags and just use the name and the part number, then it works fine.

Get back to work on the IE issue, it's a lot more than just the PayPal that doesn't work in IE.

I was following the instructions for "simple cart" by using those tags to name my items. It seems odd that it doesn't work that way. Maybe I just need a different paypal script.

Hey, aj_nsc
    You helped a lot more than you know.
    Using the web developer toolbar I looked at the cookies like you said. The cookie had font size info in it. You told me that, but I didn't understand what you meant.
    I took the font tags out of the simplecart divs and now everything works!
    Now I can focus on making things look better. Have to reupload my fixed code too.
    Thanks man, you rock!
    Gary

Thread Information