dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Upgrading Current Site to WordPress with no Downtime?

Upgrading Current Site to WordPress with no Downtime?

Currently, my father built a website for his business in Photoshop and used a SiteGrinder plugin to create the website. We are very unhappy with the look and feel and want to switch it over to WordPress. I have a blog in WordPress, so the installation and use of WP isn't an issue.

I am having trouble finding the best solution to go about this with ZERO downtime because it's for his business.

I thought about putting all of the folders/images into another directory and having the index.html redirect to this newly created directory - at the same time, installing WordPress and developing the theme/look/feel in the root directory. Only problem I see, is the links/pages being incorrect because of the directory change.

Can anyone help me? We would like to keep this all within one domain.

Thank you Fang, but I don't think that completely answers my question.

Are you suggesting I install WordPress in a separate directory and leave the current site up, install all my themes, widgets and plugins in WP, then move WP into the root directory?

Are you suggesting I install WordPress in a separate directory and leave the current site up, install all my themes, widgets and plugins in WP, then move WP into the root directory?
    Yes

Does anyone (including Fang) know of any other alternatives to what Fang suggests?

Second opinions never hurt :P

To clarify, since I cannot edit my initial post: When I said:
    I have a blog in WordPress, so the installation and use of WP isn't an issue.
    I meant that, I have experience in installing WordPress for a separate and previous (personal) blog.
    Last edited by GheP; 08-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Thread Information