www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Small Problem

Question Small Problem

Small problem... it set up to when you click on the site link it opens in same page ... how can i get it to open in a new window.

code:
    $sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM businesses WHERE id='$id'");
    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
    $name = $row['name'];
    $info = $row['info'];
    $owner = $row['owner'];
    $site = $row['$site'];
    }

code Shows link on web page
    <tr><td><b>Site</b></td><td><a href='<?php echo $site; ?>'><?php echo $site; ?></a></td></tr>

You can use the target attribute of the <a> tag. Set it to "_blank" for a new window/tab. Note that it's generally not considered very "polite" to do this these days though, and it's actually invalid according to the XHTML strict doctype, so bear that in mind if it applies to you.

show ex-sample lost

Quote Originally Posted by Mindzai View Post
    ......and it's actually invalid according to the XHTML strict doctype, so bear that in mind if it applies to you.
    To quote one of my favourite singers, Meatloaf - "You took the words right out of my mouth" (I always try to code in xhtml...but I digress)

Anyway, an alternative is to call a javavscript function in the value of href which uses window.open() to open a url in a new window.

There is an example of window.open() on the w3schools website at

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp
    Last edited by tirna; 03-25-2010 at 08:43 PM.

<tr><td><b>Site</b></td><td><a href='<?php echo $site; ?>' target='_blank'><?php echo $site; ?></a></td></tr>

Close!

As many others around here mention a lot, make sure you filter your input/output. Placing the value directly into a link with no filtering/sanitizing will make you open to xss attacks. Even if the input is yours you should sanitize it before outputting it to the html code. You should also watch using <b> tags, they're not deprecated yet but i have a feeling they soon will be. Use css styling instead.
    And keep in mind, if you still want to be compliant, you can always attempt to make your own custom dtd, making it support target="_blank", i believe most browsers pop into standards mode still and it will validate. Though that may be more trouble than its worth.

Thread Information