www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dropdowns Like This Forum

resolved [RESOLVED] Dropdowns Like This Forum

How do you create dropdown menus similar to the "Thread Tools" dropdown menu on this forum, that's at the top of all the threads?

I actuall hate the drop downs in this forum. Not as bad as some but annoying anyway. Just for information!

You can create a drop down menu which the user only has to hover over using just CSS (faster and more compatible) but if you really want Javascript have a look at JQuery which has many functions to do what you want.

Using z-index and position. Take a look at http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_pos_z-index.asp
    "Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."-Cartman

I apologize, but I don't understand why z-index would be used to create a dropdown menu. Could you give me a code example?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Witchard View Post
    I apologize, but I don't understand why z-index would be used to create a dropdown menu. Could you give me a code example?
    Definition and Usage

The z-index property specifies the stack order of an element.

An element with greater stack order is always in front of an element with a lower stack order.

Note: z-index only works on positioned elements (position:absolute, position:relative, or position:fixed).
    http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_pos_z-index.asp
    Take a look at

HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <style type="text/css">
    body {
        margin: 0;
        padding: 0;
    }
    </style>
    </head>

<body>
    <div style="width: 600px; height: 600px; margin: auto;">
    <div style="width: 600px; height: 600px; border: 1px solid red; background-color: green;">
    This box will be behind the blue box
    </div>
    <div style="height: 100px; width: 100px; z-index: 1; top: 0; margin: 20px; position: absolute; border: 1px solid black; background-color: blue;">
    Box that hovers
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    "Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."-Cartman

I read what z-index did, but that's not really a dropdown menu, is it? Isn't that just rearranging what's on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Witchard View Post
    I read what z-index did, but that's not really a dropdown menu, is it? Isn't that just rearranging what's on top?
    well you need the z-index to have the drop down menu above any other content that is below your drop down.

Thread Information