www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Enabling global_register

Enabling global_register

Hi everyone,
    Can someone tell me how to use PHP ini to enable global_register=on in my server.

Soneone help.

Well, firstly, the setting is named "register_globals".

Secondly, it has been deprecated for a reason, so in general, my suggestion would be to change your scripts to not depend upon it, and then leave it off. You can more-or-less emulate it on a per script basis by adding the following to the beginning of a given script (with the possibility of the same problems that using register_globals can cause):
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    import_request_variables
    ('gpc');
    Only specify the sources you need to be imported: g = GET, p = POST, and c = COOKIE; in order to avoid creating unnecessary avenues of attack. Of course, it's still better to not use this at all and directly reference the $_GET, $_POST, and/or $_COOKIE super-global arrays instead and simply get completely out of the habit of depending on such behavior.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hi NogDog,
    Thank you for your help. Fact is the scripts i ma trying to use is purchased from a vendor and vendor says register_globals = on is a requirment. I understand that this has some risk factors.

Now having seen your suggestion i have checked my scripts but can't figure out where to change the script to not depend upon register_globals.

If you permit me i will send one of the scripts i think should need changed to your eamil box. The content is too large to append here. But you may see the attached zip file here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by akluch2; 04-07-2010 at 11:22 AM.

You can add the import_request_variables() call to the top of any of the scripts. It just needs to appear once in a given script before any other PHP code that might need to access the input variables.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks NoDog. My script is now working properly.

Thread Information