www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web Design Programs/ Advice

Arrow Web Design Programs/ Advice

Hi!
    I am a newbie in web design and i have a few questions for you. :-).
    I know basic HTML, and i am planning on learning CSS and php. Should i learn any other programming languages?

In the meanwhile do you know any program that generates automatics wordpress/ joomla templates based on your design? Like artisteer

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitris_aero View Post
    Hi!
    I am a newbie in web design and i have a few questions for you. :-).
    I know basic HTML, and i am planning on learning CSS and php. Should i learn any other programming languages?

In the meanwhile do you know any program that generates automatics wordpress/ joomla templates based on your design? Like artisteer
    Im a newb too, but from what I see on sites like this, JavaScript would be helpful and maybe look into the JavaScript library jQuery.
    Ill be watching this thread though since I was just about to post a similar question.

Stu

Wouldn't hurt to pick up SQL while at PHP, or ASP.NET if you decide on that route. Personally, I think there's a bigger market for .NET, but it's all logic at the end of the day.
    Ryan Butler

Ryan Butler.org

JavaScript is easier to debug.

I use FF2 at home and Firebug is a godsend. However It is Mozilla/FF and it can't help you when IE7 doesn't use particular attribute/property, even if IE6 can. IE has a debugging environment but they try to lock you in to VBScript and that doesn't help if you want FF to understand it fully.

You can also get FF Portable and Firebug for that. That way you can tinker at any machine and then try with the machine's resident settings/browser. I check my site live with it in public libraries. If it works there it will anywhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stuart1 View Post
    Im a newb too, but from what I see on sites like this, JavaScript would be helpful and maybe look into the JavaScript library jQuery.
    Ill be watching this thread though since I was just about to post a similar question.

Stu
    It's been debated on this site in many places before....but if you're picking this stuff up for learning it and then putting it to use, rather than for an immediate project, learn Javascript (and PHP for that matter) without the use of a framework/library like jQuery first. Don't get me wrong, jQuery is absolutely fantastic, but when it's all said and done you'll be a lot more learned (that's learn-ED) in the JS world if you understand top to bottom, rather than just a single library. if in the future you come across regular JS that you have to edit, you'll be wondering where all the $'s went, if you don't get the basics down.
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

If you just started learning, I would highly suggest you learn to hand code first. My friends made fun of me that I am an old timer, but the fact is when you learn to hand code, you gain a much better understanding of how things work, and when you use programs such as Dreamweaver, these programs are not always reliable, when things go wrong you will know exactly how to fix it by looking at the codes.

As far as languages concern, CSS is indispensable, PHP, Perl and Javascript are good to know too. And of course, if you do Windows, .net and asp. There are a lot to learn, just take it one step at a time.

3 Locust Street, Suite A Assonet, MA 02702
    I will suggest that you should only try to learn SQL besides all what you have learnt. I think that is enough & will surely pay you in the upcoming time.

Thread Information