www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Auto insert a new record if it does not exist.

Auto insert a new record if it does not exist.

I have the following (which is not working)

I have opened the database, that works fine... its handle is $d

Code:
      $ok=mysql_query( "SELECT * FROM `{$dbn}`.`ip_table` WHERE `ip`='{$ip}';" , $d) ;

if( !$ok ) { // INSERT THE ITEM!
        $log = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `{$dbn}`.`ip_table` ( `ip` , `visits` , `last_visit` , `whois` ) VALUES ( '{$ip}', '0', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP , '{$user}' );" , $d );

}
        // WE NOW UPDATE because by now we should have made one!
        $log = mysql_query("UPDATE `{$dbn}`.`ip_table` SET `visits` = `visits`+1 , `last_visit` = NOW() WHERE `ip` = '{$ip}';", $d );
    I want to add an IP address reference to a table so I can count the number of visits. I am trying to weed out web crawlers and web bots, I am reviewing a friends site totals and the site gets crawled allot, so its hard to get a true visitor count. So I thought about logging all traffic and weeding out the web bots and then removing those totals from the site traffic to see whats really going on.

The problem I am having is that the initializing query does not insert a new record when the item does not exist.

If the ip address is not found in ip_table then the result should be a new record is inserted and then that new record is updated. The thing works when I manually put in an ip address of a BOT, it will count it.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

I would do something like this:

Code:

<?php

//check if the ip address exists in the db
    $query = 'select * from tblIPaddresses where fldIPaddress = 'some IP address';
    //run the query
    $rs = mysql_query($query, $conn);
    //now either insert or update depending on how many rows were returned in $rs
    if(mysql_num_rows($rs) == 1 {  //ip address exists
        $query = 'update tblIPaddresses set fldNumVisits = fldNumVisits+1 where fldIPaddress = 'some ip address';
    } else {  //ip address does not exist
        $query = insert into tblIPaddresses (fldIPaddress,fldNumVisits) values ('some ip address',1);
    }
    //run the query
    $rs = mysql_query($query, $conn);

?>
    Make sure you validate the ip address format to protect against sql injection.
    Last edited by tirna; 04-04-2010 at 04:06 AM.

OK, I will have a look at that, as for the IP address, it is not something that is an input but a value from the $_SERVER array.

I was hoping for some kind of UPDATE OR INSERT command that would negate the need for PHP to be involved in anything other than the originator of the query.

Well I tried using it, works a treat, thanks.
    Code:
     if( mysql_num_rows( $ok ) < 1) { // INSERT THE ITEM!
        $log = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `{$dbn}`.`ip_table` ( `ip` , `visits` , `last_visit` , `whois` ) VALUES ( '{$ip}', '0', CURRENT_TIMESTAMP , '{$user}' );" , $d );

}
    It now puts every address in but thats not an issue at present. I now need to look at weeding out the "user agents" that have slurp, bot, search in the name and only inserting those in to the table...

Any suggestions?

Maybe try parsing the user agent stored in $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] which will contain something like
    Code:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp/3.0; http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp)
    to weed out the bots.

Thread Information