www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: iFrame content....

iFrame content....

Alright I'm completely stumped.
    I have this:
    Code:
    getstats = document.getElementById("arcadeStats");
    workWith = getstats.contentWindow.document.body.innerHTML;
    Now my problem is workWith is an empty string. However, getstats.contentWindow.document.body.innerHTML; returns the content of the frame just fine. I mean what could be going wrong here?

If practical, why not post all your code instead of just 2 lines because I can't see anything wrong in those 2 lines, unless element "arcadeStats" does not exist, and so the problem lies elsewhere.

Code:
    <iframe src='http://s1.zetaboards.com/babtest/pages/arcade' id='arcadeStats' style='display: none;'></iframe>
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    	getstats = document.getElementById("arcadeStats");
    	workWith = getstats.contentWindow.document.body.innerHTML;
    </script>

I'm getting "access Denied" messages in IE and FF when I use your iframe's src or any other url outside of my domain when I try to get the code for the iframe's src.

It works fine when the iframe src is a html file in my domain.

Well its on the same server and loads up fine when used on my page

The iframe's src urls load into my iframe as well, but when I run the code to get the iframe's innerHTML I get the "access denied" message if the url src is outside of my domain. If the src is inside my domain, I can alert() the iframe's innerHTML without a problem.

Yes I can alert the innerHTML as well however setting it to the workWith variable doesn't work it just sets workwith as a empty string

This is the function I am using for testing:

Code:
    function getContents() {
       var iframeO = document.getElementById("ifrAns");  
       var content = iframeO.contentWindow.document.body.innerHTML; 

alert(content);
    }
    When the iframe's src is inside my domain the alert works without a problem.

When the src is outside my domain I get either an "access denied" pop up in IE or an empty alert box in FF.

Maybe it's a system thing - I don't know. I don't use iframes because they are not XHTML Strict compliant and so unfortunately I can't help much more. Hopefully one of the gurus will be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by tirna View Post
    Maybe it's a system thing - I don't know.
    It is a security matter. Javascript relationship between documents belonging to different domains are forbidden by default, for obvious security reasons. Moreover, browsers interpreters are instructed to consider even the sub-domains as different domains.

Kor is right, I remember years ago trying to get a specific value form an iframe that was off a different domain. Its been too long and I cant remember if I was successful but I do remember finding a jquery iframe plugin that got me very close… may be worth a google search on your end

Depending on what you are trying to get from the iframe, worst case you could use an ajax call to a php page that pulls the contents for your manipulation (as needed).

Good luck,
    -aPeg

Quote Originally Posted by apeg View Post
    but I do remember finding a jquery iframe plugin that got me very close…
    No way. JQuery is nothing but a JavaScript library. JQuery is not another language. It's just sort of framework. JavaScript written. Like many others (Prototype, MooTools, ...)

Accessing a document from another domain is a server-side job, exclusively. To do that job asynchronously, AJAX + server-side application is possible.
    Last edited by Kor; 04-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.

The website in the iframe is in the domain. As I've said already.... So please stop telling me its because its on a different domain

Then give us more details. More code. A link to a test page will be of great help

Thread Information