www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: onClick pixel color change

Hybrid View

Question onClick pixel color change

A lot information about changing background color/image , font color, row color etc. but I can't find a clue how to change, on mouse click, one or a few pixels (at the clicking spot) to a different color.
    Plz help if you can

Be creative, imaginative...think about it! Pixels on a webpage cannot change color, but elements can. So wherever the mouse is clicked, it sounds like you want to create an element (e.g. div, span, img, whatever) that is a 1x1 or 2x2 or 3x3, or whatever size you want it.

So what you need to look for when searching is:
    1) How to get the position of a mouse click on the screen
    2) How to create and append an HTML element to your document using Javascript
    3) How to use CSS to position the element created in #2 where you want it.

Yep, this would be easy. What I want, is several users to click on an element, and each click to be graphically represented as a few surrounding pixels changing colors. And I want to see the effects in real-time.

Using a transparent pixel, change the background color onclick. Since the pixel is transparent the background color will display through. Real trick is painting the entire screen with pixels.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

Is it possible for different users from the web to click on one specific area on the page, seeing the effects of their own clicks and the clicks of others 'live' with no delay (except of course the ping) ? I mean, it must be, but will javascript do ?

Rather than pushing data from the server, which could be quite intensive depending on how popular the site is, I'd use AJAX called using a setTimeout from when the page loads. Every time the AJAX request is complete, get it to update the image. If you want it to appear 'live', set the timeout to run every second or so.

Javascript, by itself, won't do - you'll need a server-side script and a database or some sort to store the clicks of users.

Thread Information