www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Text Extent?

Text Extent?

Is there any way to retrieve the text extent? I'm placing links into div tags and want to set the width of the div directly, I know this might be an issue as a user could size the text them selves as well.

Is there a way at all to do this?

Not very clear to me... What don't you use SPAN instead of DIV?

Not sure why I don't...

What I need to be able to do is get he width and height of the div or span after it has been set so that I can align another div to them that will have a position of absolute.

Will a span allow me to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by pen View Post
    Not sure why I don't...

What I need to be able to do is get he width and height of the div or span after it has been set so that I can align another div to them that will have a position of absolute.

Will a span allow me to do that?
    No.

Can you detail a little bit? Can you create a small example, or something like that?

I'm reading links from an XML file and making a row of links in the document with them. Each link will be placed in a div and then added to the links div. When onmouseover I want to pop up a menu of items to choose from but I need to know where to place that popup menu. Every time I have just added a div and allowed the content to determine the size of it I'm unable to get the size of it so that I can place other elements relative to it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thread Information