www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Have Great Idea, Don't Know How to Implement It

Have Great Idea, Don't Know How to Implement It

Hello everyone,

For a couple of years now, I have been working on an idea that I believe could become a big hit in the Internet, as well as on Facebook, among IPhone apps, etc. As a devotee of trivia, I have searched for years for exciting, high-quality trivia games in the Internet, but I have always been surprised by how that is completely missing. It seems that everything out there is either totally amateurish in concept and design, uses the same stale material over and over, or both. Just check out the number one hit for "trivia games" on Google. It's a lot like taking school quizzes for fun.

My idea would be to produce a game, or a series of related games, involving:

1)the constant introduction of brand-new questions
    2)an exciting format, with an element of chance
    3)the possibility of winning prizes
    4)a ranking system, with points given for playing, answering questions correctly, ranking high in a match and submitting usable content
    5)the more a user did any of those things, the higher the possibility of winning prizes
    6)the main source of revenue would be multimedia ads lasting anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes interspersed between matches and between questions in an individual match
    7)a secondary source of revenue would be a premium subscription, where the user would not see any ads and would instead have the chance to answer exclusive questions, which if done correctly would increase his or her chances to win prizes

Here's what I believe would be an interesting twist: the main source of content would be the users themselves. They could submit the material to be used in the games, and every time someone did submit an approved question, they would receive additional chances of winning prizes and would improve their overall rank. This would not entail any particular advantage in playing the games, since the user would not know when a question submitted by them would be used. And the best of all, the problems of stale content would be solved. Anyone who doubts the possibilities of user-generated content should consider the examples of Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, etc.

My problem in implementing all this is that I don't know what technology I should use. I taught myself HTML and CSS pretty well, but they are obviously insufficient to the task. I also have been learning Visual C#, but it seems every book out there wants to teach every obscure aspect of 1982-style console applications while neglecting Windows and Web applications. Are writers of computer books trying to keep knowledge of useful skills to themselves while teaching obsolete drudgery?

So I would like to ask: what is the best technology to implement a multimedia trivia game? And how do I go about learning it? Please keep in mind that a trivia game, by its nature, does not require as complex an interface as some other types of game.

By the way, while this is not an advertising for a business opportunities, I would consider having as partners individuals with real expertise applicable to this project, as I do recognize it's pretty inefficient to learn these skills just to implement this one project. However, if that's what it takes, then I will do it (with God's help).

I really do appreciate any suggestions.

F.K. Juliano

If you have HTML and CSS skills, then go on with PHP then AJAX.
    Dont know what u seek but u can see my game at www.legendora.net .
    If you have any question PM me.

Thread Information