www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JS NewsTicker not working in IE8

Unhappy JS NewsTicker not working in IE8

Hi Guys,

First of all, just wanted to say hi to everyone in this forum. I am here for the first time and I don't know how to write or modify javascript. I was hoping someone could help me with this small issue I encountered while designing page for a client. I tried everything, first sorting it myself, then asking friends and now I would like to post this question on the forum. I am sure there is some small mistake on my end on how I applied the code, or maybe some syntax error in the code itself that can't execute in IE8.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.sgnwsk.com/dropbox/Strona3/

Under "Zaufali mi" there is an embedded javascript news ticker that works in all browsers (IE7, FF, Chrome, Safari etc) but not in IE8

Here is the link to javascript:

http://www.sgnwsk.com/dropbox/Strona...bticker_lib.js

Thanks all, any input is much appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

I cannot help you as I don't have IE8, but I believe this can help you. Especially the part where they say:
    CSS Expressions are NO LONGER allowed (deprecated)
    i love easter eggs
    (if you got any creative easter eggs, send me a PM)

thx mate

Thanks for that mate. I read through. Very complicated and heavy subject for me, not sure if I know how to fix it with their info, but your lead is much appreciated...

Here's another thought. You have a TICKER_WIDTH variable in the script that is undefined. Remove the code:
    Code:
    TICKER_WIDTH = document.getElementById("TICKER").style.width;
    	var img = ""+TICKER_WIDTH+"";
    And all uses of the img variables:
    Code:
    "+img+"
    (there's four occurances)
    i love easter eggs

Hey,

I deleted the specified line + "+img+" with quotes (if I left the quotes the applet would stop working everywhere). But yeah, it works in IE7 ff safari etc, but still doesn't work in IE8 :{

But thanks for our suggestion..

Cheers,

Mike

hey, on getting the width (TICKER), the IE8 includes "px" (6 px) also. So that is undefined.

you can use this

var mydiv = document.getElementById("TICKER");
    var img = mydiv.style.width = 5 +"px";

Replace 5 with any other. The script you are using in the site is not working with opera also. Check it.

Hey Vignes92

Just did what you have recommended.

Still doesn't work in IE8.

I have updated the files with my recent changes (script to be exact), so you can track the changes. Not sure what is causing it, as I said before - I don't know what might be causing it to ignore the script in IE8, but it looks like some security measures as suggested by a different user who wrote in this thread.

http://www.sgnwsk.com/dropbox/Strona3/

...and yes, it doesn't work in Opera either, crap :[

Just downloaded Opera for mac and it doesn't even show up.

Hmm.. wonder what would be the issue with those whole applet thingy :/

Cheers dudes

Check this out and tell me if it works in IE8 (since I can't check myself)
    i love easter eggs

3nex, mate you rock. Yes it works now (even in Opera!) This is awesome. Thanks for fixing this for me, much appriciated. Can I ask you what have you modified? is it just the js? or should I apply some html changes.

Big thanks

sgnwsk

it stopped repeating now though

update: so it works, but when the cycle is finished it doesn't cycle through again, repeat itself..
    Last edited by sgnwsk; 05-09-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: updated info

Quote Originally Posted by sgnwsk View Post
    it stopped repeating now though
    I know that, I just meant to ask if this worked in IE8. I can get that fixed in a moment so you can just copy paste that crap.

I did make some HTML changes too, because I've noticed that your script replaces some HTML which was redundant, so I just applied those changes right away to avoid too much javascript text replacing. And I gotta tell you your code seems kind of Dreamweavery... Am I right about that?
    i love easter eggs

yes on "repeating". That is exactly what I mean.. It was working before until you modified it (hey no offense, just saying). Sorry I don't want you to sort anything out in a seconds, all I am asking for is a bid of hand. And yes again, my code is totally "dreamweavery: as I am not getting paid for that crap and I just want to get thing out asap. But thanks for your input mate. I must have deleted some code from that html or applet at the beginning as I was trying to get this thing to work, so there must be some syntax error caused by my dev.

So, now I've done the repeating too, you can check the updated version and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by sgnwsk View Post
    I don't want you to sort anything out in a seconds, all I am asking for is a bid of hand
    I'm not sure what you meant by this
    i love easter eggs

Thanks a lot mate. Look, don't worry on what I have wrote. Must have been mis-communication. It looked too me like you are angry on me for what I have wrote or something doesn't matter. I appreciate your help. I have copied the html + js from your examples, so I am all set indeed. Thx again man, I will look into everything tomorrow and compare what changes you have done, so I can remember for the future but it is getting late now and I am done for today.

Big thanks,

Mike

Thread Information