www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Jobs' Thoughts on Flash

Cool Jobs' Thoughts on Flash

So I read Steve Jobs' article about implementing flash on Apple mobile devices. Good read, considering these devices are quickly becoming a standard for developers. Thoughts On Flash.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G View Post
    So I read Steve Jobs' article about implementing flash on Apple mobile devices. Good read, considering these devices are quickly becoming a standard for developers. Thoughts On Flash.
    As long as Apple embrace proprietary solutions as part of their business strategies, it is very hard to convince some developers to flock to their SDK and build applications. The reason why there are is out of practical needs cuz developer still need to eat and feed their families isn't it ?

If it is for own private time hobby project, developers would rather go for more Open Source SDK cuz it is free and the final applications developed do not pale in comparison to proprietary SDK. My 1 cent worth of opinion.

PS I do not speak for all developers but at least for me, my own private time hobby project is using Open Source SDK. I wonder does Apple employees still uses Apple SDK for their hobby projects if those SDK is payable in monies ?

What kind of applications are you talking about? Web-apps, or Apple "apps"? I'm just glad that Apple acknowledges that flash would still be useful for mobile web, even if Adobe won't acquiesce.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G View Post
    What kind of applications are you talking about? Web-apps, or Apple "apps"? I'm just glad that Apple acknowledges that flash would still be useful for mobile web, even if Adobe won't acquiesce.
    Apple "apps" for mobile. Is the Apple SDK free for developers like Android SDK ? Even if SDK is free, can I develop on Linux instead of MacOS (I presume that is the OS available for Apple development) ?

There is a reason for Apple stand on being proprietary and I respect that cuz after all it is a commercial profit entity. What I am talking more is for own developer private time hobby project it still cost monies ?

I don't understand how people swallow that nonsense personally. I have only ever found any Apple product that I've had to use to be the most limiting anything I've ever had to use, which is the reason I don't ever buy them.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan1991 View Post
    I don't understand how people swallow that nonsense personally. I have only ever found any Apple product that I've had to use to be the most limiting anything I've ever had to use, which is the reason I don't ever buy them.
    For the same reason people adhere to any cult.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Apple isn't the only one trying to bury Flash, apparently.

From Microsofts' GM of the IE division:
    "...IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only."
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/201...ml5-video.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Declan1991 View Post
    you left out "and they cost nearly double".

Quote Originally Posted by WestWeb View Post
    Apple isn't the only one trying to bury Flash, apparently.

From Microsofts' GM of the IE division:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/201...ml5-video.aspx
    That doesn't mention flash at all and is only where MS is making a choice for use of embedding codecs for html5 video support.

Thread Information