www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Advice

Hybrid View

Advice

hye guys. im currently studying diploma in web development. any good advice from the real world?

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbanana View Post
    hye guys. im currently studying diploma in web development. any good advice from the real world?

cheers!
    I have pointed it out in my earlier post to another topic. Don't assume once you work you get to create "new" programs. Very often you are asked to "maintain" other developers code. I doubt Diploma teachers got teach such skill-set

Don't be surprised the total amount of effort to "maintain" very often is much more than you write "new" code.

Just to share in my working experience, a salvage project quotation by a reputable firm was such that the salvage (code is already there and functionality built in but fail on performance criteria by previous vendor who was terminated) cost almost close to 1.5 times of building a new system by the reputable firm.

Don't under-estimate the term "maintenance". It require first to understand people code where some have some pattern and some have weird quirks etc etc in their code. Then after understand, you need to apply new code onto "those codes", it is definitely not a trivial task as compared to write a new program completely from scratch.

I believe maintenance skill-set is just as important as create new program skill-set.

Thread Information