www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Two seperate lists of "Master" links control single Details FormView?

Hybrid View

Two seperate lists of "Master" links control single Details FormView?

I am trying to set up a Master-Details feature in ASP.NET 3.5 with two distinct lists of links on the "Master" side and one control on the "Details" side, all displaying on the same page. For example, the Master control(s) would display a list of links to item details, separated into two sections:

Teachers
    link1
    link2
    link3

Students
    link1
    link2
    link3

...each of the links under both "Teachers" and "Students" would populate a single Details control with data appropriate to the selected link.

Right now I have a simple Master/Details on a single page using a single column gridview as the Master (<asp:ButtonField CommandName="Select" />) and a FormView control for Details. The Master Details relationship is handled declaratively with a <SelectParameters> in the Detail control's SQL Data Source. However, this arrangement only allows for a single column of Master links, i.e.:

Teachers & Students
    link1
    link2
    link3
    link4
    link5
    link6

...is there any way to

1. have two Master controls feed to the same details control?
    2. have a Details control for each Master list, but swap visibility for each Detail control so it appears that there is only one Details control on the page?
    3. have a Master control like a gridview or datalist display two sections of links, one on top of the other, each section with its own HeaderText, controlling the same Details control?
    4. or perhaps use a pair of Master Gridviews nested within a parent Master Gridview leading to the single Details control?

I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is - thanks for any advice!

This should go in the .NET forum

Quote Originally Posted by yamaharuss View Post
    This should go in the .NET forum
    Oops, my mistake. I'll repost it there.

Thread Information