dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Which spelling of my website's name is better?

Cool Which spelling of my website's name is better?

My website http://linksku.com can be called Linksku or LinksKu or LinkSku. Which one do you think is better?

I'd suggest just linksku or LinkSku

Is my password SHA() encrypted in your database?

ADDENDUM: I see you're using WordPress ... presumably WordPress uses salted SHA encryption by default ...

Oh ... And I think the only variant you've provided that I do not like is LinksKu. Though, that may be because I'm not entirely sure what the KU part of the name stands for ... or is it SKU? ... Like a product SKU?

... needs clarification.

Ku is the chinese word for cool, sku is like a barcode.

Many large websites have no meaning (youtube, facebook, ebay, etc). I wanted a website that didn't have much meaning, but that was too hard to think of. So I used chinese words.

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    Is my password SHA() encrypted in your database?

ADDENDUM: I see you're using WordPress ... presumably WordPress uses salted SHA encryption by default ...
    Sorry, what's SHA?

Quote Originally Posted by narutodude000 View Post
    Ku is the chinese word for cool, sku is like a barcode.

Many large websites have no meaning (youtube, facebook, ebay, etc). I wanted a website that didn't have much meaning, but that was too hard to think of. So I used chinese words.
    I'm not sure I'd say the have no meaning ... In any case, given the component word you're shooting for is Ku, either capitalize the K or leave the whole thing lower case. And in either case, I'd like to see an about page that explains the name for interested folk.

Quote Originally Posted by narutodude000 View Post
    Sorry, what's SHA?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Hash_Algorithm

Can you summarize SHA? Wikipedia is too technical. I googled SHA but couldn't find anything that isn't technical.

Here's all that the application-level programmer needs to know:

It's a very secure (government recommended) one-way encryption (hashing) algorithm. Current standard public version is SHA-1. The government and some organizations use SHA-2. And we can expect to see an algorithm chosen for SHA-3 in 2012.

In general, SHA refers to one of these best-to-use one-way encryption (hashing) algorithms. You pass a string into the algorithm and it returns a fixed-width hash (array of bytes or characters) based on the input string. The idea is that it's very difficult, if possible, to reverse or generate collisions with.

Given hash = sha(password), it would be ridiculously unlikely to discover password given hash. To make things more secure, generate a SALT (string of random characters) at the time the password is encrypted and store the SALT and hash:

hash = sha(SALT + password)

To verify a user: at the time of login, grab the user's SALT and stored hash based on the username. Generate a hash using the stored SALT and the given password, and compare the newly generated hash with the stored hash. If they match, the user supplied the correct password.

That being said, I noticed that you're using WordPress. I haven't used WordPress ... but I assume it's handling your authentication. And I assume it uses SHA. So, I assume you have nothing to worry about ... though, I could be wrong.

Ok, thanks, I get it now. I think WordPress should be quite safe. I'll try hacking my own website when I have time.

Thread Information