www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Netscape 9 Shows Nothing

resolved [RESOLVED] Netscape 9 Shows Nothing

I'm working on building myself a nifty little website using HTML and CSS. Frankly, I don't think it's too fancy... but it seems to have a problem in Netscape.

I've finally got the site to work in all of my browsers... IE is fine, FireFox is fine, Chrome, Opera... all good. BUT, when I opened Netscape, all it would do is load the repeated background image (placed in the body tag). And if that wasn't strange enough... the page height (not specified in the body tag) is correct! When I compare the site between the browsers, Netscape needs to scroll down just as much as the other guys... except nothing is there!

I tried killing off the background image in the body tag, thinking perhaps the rest of everything is hiding behind the background... but in that case it just gave me a blank page... but still with scrolling.

Anyway... my code validates fine in Dreamweaver (except for some min-height stuff, but that's not a big issue)... so technically, I guess, it should work. But it doesn't!

Are there known issues when using CSS positioning in Netscape 9... or is this perhaps just a result of the program being buggy on my system? I've had a hard time finding Netscape bugs, being that it's a discontinued browser... but I want to be thorough.

Thanks!

(PS- I can post my code here if you think it will help... but my site isn't live yet, and a host hasn't been purchased... so I don't have any links to demonstrate the problem with yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by SirReddSir View Post
    Anyway... my code validates fine in Dreamweaver (except for some min-height stuff, but that's not a big issue)... so technically, I guess, it should work.
    Not by a long shot. Post the URL.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Not by a long shot. Post the URL.
    Hey, I just remembered I had one of those free "Bravehost" accounts... so I was able to post the site.

http://www.srtannenbaum.bravehost.com/index-2.html

As you can see, Bravehosts ads kinda screw with the background a bit... but nothing major. Anyway... even after uploading, Netscape still only shows the red dot background.

(Also, any tips on the coding itself would be appreciated... normally I work with templates, this is my first attempt at coding from scratch)

Your code looks a mess - amongst other things because of a mish-mash of html, head, and body elements. W3c validation flags up the problems - at least your CSS is better - though you may as well tidy up the one error in that.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibrit View Post
    Your code looks a mess - amongst other things because of a mish-mash of html, head, and body elements. W3c validation flags up the problems - at least your CSS is better - though you may as well tidy up the one error in that.
    Hey... I'm checking it out now. It looks like when I uploaded it to Bravehost, they added a few things here and there... not sure what the heck is going on... but half is my code, half is their code (probably because they place those advertisements on the top and bottom).

Anyway, thanks for the link... I'm gonna check it out now.

UPDATE:
    Yeah, I re-checked the original file using the Validator... it gave me one error (no "alt" tag listed for my jpg... no biggie). As for the CSS, that too was a Bravehost error. So while that makes me feel better personally... it doesn't appear to the source of the problem.
    Last edited by SirReddSir; 05-25-2010 at 02:38 PM.

***RESOLVED***

I decided to simply ignore the issue and move on. Of course, that little bit of OCD in the back of my mind simply wouldn't let me. So I played around and have solved the issue.

After doing some tests with the HTML, I found that it wasn't the source code itself, rather it was the CSS that was causing the problem. What was the first logical guess when wondering why the background is apparently on top of everything else? That's right, the "z-index"! I removed all the "z-index" information, and wouldn't you know it... there's the site.

So apparently Netscape 9 can't handle the "z-index" information... or at least, I wrote it in a way that it couldn't process. I'll do more research and see what the sites say, but as for now, we can consider this a case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReddSir View Post
    So apparently Netscape 9 can't handle the "z-index" information... or at least, I wrote it in a way that it couldn't process. I'll do more research and see what the sites say, but as for now, we can consider this a case closed.
    The main hurdle doing JavaScript and CSS development is the browser compatibility with same set of code. That is why I like to use JavaScript framework for which the developers have gone through the tedious process to ensure the same set of code should run fine in which browser and which version onwards. This saves a lot of time on my own to make sure JS code I crafted can run in multiple browser multiple versions.

If you go to some websites, they did have a small footnote saying their website is best viewed with <browser> <version> onwards on screen resolution <dimension x dimension>.

Thread Information