www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Jpeg doesn't show in IE but does in FF?

Jpeg doesn't show in IE but does in FF?

Any ideas why this image shows up in Firefox but doesn't display in IE?

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2..._cv45-copy.jpg

However, if you download the image (using FF) and then resave using image editing software it works in all browsers.

I've seen this bug(?) a bunch of times and just curious. Thanks.

That is quite odd. The only thing that comes to mind is to make sure that the image file is actually a .jpg. Lazy programs will try to render an image based primarily on its given extension, but smarter programs will read the binary header info and judge what type of image it is. Its possible that the image in question is not a .jpg, but it just has the .jpg extension. Thus ff is looking at the file header and seeing its not a .jpg and transcoding the file in realtime (and so you'll also get a .jpg file if you save it from within firefox), while ie may just be looking at the extension and judges that it is a .jpg and thus fails to render it. Hopefully that makes sense ;-)

It renders without problems in Safari and Opera as well.

Looking at the image info in FF, FF says it is an image with type JPEG and mime type images/jpeg.

I suspect that there is something in the header info of the jpg that IE doesn't like as a result of how the image was originally created.. Opening the jpg in something like Photoshop and resaving it as a Photoshop generated jpg should fix any header problems.

btw - cool image

This is a relatively common issue... IE does not display jpeg images that are in CMYK color space. You need to save it in RGB.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    This is a relatively common issue... IE does not display jpeg images that are in CMYK color space. You need to save it in RGB.

Dave
    Ah... for some reason color spaces slipped my mind. That would probably be the most likely issue.

I suspect that there is something in the header info of the jpg that IE doesn't like as a result of how the image was originally created.. Opening the jpg in something like Photoshop and resaving it as a Photoshop generated jpg should fix any header problems.
    During loading the image into Photoshop Elements, it asks me to convert the image to a supported color mode: rgb, grey scale, index or bitmap.

Selecting RGB should fix any problems.
    Last edited by tirna; 05-15-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thread Information