www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Do i need?

Do i need?

Hi,

Hello there good day! I just want some advice from the experts..because my Acer laptop got drowned in the sea water..and I don't know what to do! Is it repairable? or do i need to buy new one? please help me guys

Hi. It doesn't sound hopeful.

If it was switched on at the time, likelihood its pretty much dead. (probably is anyway - sorry)

If you can claim on it, do so. If not, you could try dismantling it, removing the batteries, rinse the board and components off with boiled (but cold) water (get rid of all traces of salt) and let it dry for a few days. You may get lucky. Unlikely, but if you have the time and patience, you have nothing to lose.

In any event, you will need a new hard drive for it, but see if you get a bios beep before you spend out.

You may be better off just taking the hit on a new one

The hard drive may still be functional due to it being mostly sealed (contrary to popular belief it is not entirely sealed due to a need for pressure equalization). So i'd recommend getting a new laptop very soon and seeing if you can get the data off of the old drive. Frankly, it is extremely doubtful you'll be able to use the old laptop. If it truly got submerged in sea water specifically then you can kiss it goodbye. The dissolved salts in the water will quickly corrode the laptops circuit boards and electrical contacts.
    Get a new laptop and try to recover your data as soon as you can, assuming the data is even important i suppose.

I hope you have backups of any critical files because in all honesty and probability, you most likely now have a new boat anchor.

But check the laptop's specs and see to what depth it is supposed to be waterproof.
    Last edited by tirna; 05-24-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Generally, treat it like a mobile phone.

Remove the battery, for example, this may suffer the most damage due to the shorting of circuits.

I would stick it in a hot airing cupboard for at least 4 days or until no visible water vapor is present on the inside of the display.

Yes your HDD may be shot if water managed to get in through the vent, some lappys don't have a vent because the platters are in a suspension of a thin oil.

If the battery is a fully sealed unit, then assessing if water has got in to the unit will be hard.

Damage wise, it will be hard to say because salt water conducts electric far easier than your fresh water variety, both will damage a unit and as stated, it will largely depend upon how much water got in to the unit, as stated... if it was on at the time.

As for the mobile phone reference, depending on how much water, if any managed to get in to the thing will depend upon if you can salvage it. I have had this happen to me and I managed to rescue the phone by removing the battery and drying it out over a 3 day period.

So give it a go, nothing ventured...

If all fails, you could sell it on as a spares or repair item.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information