www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: databse benchmark

databse benchmark

Hi,
    i found an open source benchmark project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/benchmark/ that includes some of the most widespread databases:

- Oracle Berkeley DB
    - Perst
    - MySQL (server)
    - MS SQL Server CE
    - STSdb
    - Access
    - HamsterDB
    - SQLite
    - Db4objects
    - Firebird
    - H2.

Database Benchmark(GNU GPL) on it allows to simulate the performance and behavior of different database managment systems during work with large number of records(etc. 1M, 10М). You can see diagrams of performance, query speed, amount of occupied memory ....
    to be able to work it must have installed .NET 3.5 (Mono for Linux)

A database benchmarking app that shows significant performance for the DBMS of the vendor that released the benchmark ... how expected.

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    A database benchmarking app that shows significant performance for the DBMS of the vendor that released the benchmark ... how expected.
    What have to I expect?
    Yes some results is a realy impresive, but the benchmark software is free and open sorce (GNU GPL).
    You can test many famous different databases. I think it's suitable to get some info about different database performance. You decide whether dase trust the results.
    About that, why OODBMS demonstrated this result i can say this arguments.
    Access to data can be faster because joins are often not needed (as in a tabular implementation of a relational database). This is because an object can be retrieved directly without a search, by following pointers. (It could, however, be argued that "joining" is a higher-level abstraction of pointer following.)
    The main benefit of creating a database with objects as data is speed. OODBMS are faster than relational DBMS because data isnít stored in relational rows and columns but as objects[8]. Objects have a many to many relationship and are accessed by the use of pointers. Pointers are linked to objects to establish relationships. Another benefit of OODBMS is that it can be programmed with small procedural differences without affecting the entire system[9]. This is most helpful for those organizations that have data relationships that arenít entirely clear or need to change these relations to satisfy the new business requirements. This ability to change relationships leads to another benefit which is that relational DBMS canít handle complex data models while OODBMS can ....

You can do proposals from Db4objects community to improve test results.

I'm not interested in approaching the community -- just forum posts that praise DBMS benchmarking tools associated with DBMS vendors, particularly when those tools show obscenely favorable results for the vendor's DBMS.

In my humblest of opinions, if you want to measure the performance of one DBMS versus another, you need to test it against your applications--where it matters. Benchmarking tools, while valuable to an extent, give a very limited view of things.

Thread Information