www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: global variables vs $_GET

global variables vs $_GET

Hi All

I noticed that variables like $_GET are available everywhere in the program. They are different from global variables (these need to be defined 'global' in a function)

What exactly is the difference between them and can i define variables like $_GET, so I don't have to define them in each function ?

cheers

Hopefully this explains what $_GET is and how it works.

it does explain how to use it, but doesn't mention anything about global variables.
    I want to know more about this variable compaired with global variables; you have to agree global variables and (for example) $_GET look like globals, but $_GET is different

If you want to use global variables without using the "global", u can use the superglobal $GLOBALS['var_name'].

For example:
    $var = "test";

function print_test() {
    echo $GLOBALS['var'];
    }

As the link tirna posted says:
    "The built-in $_GET function is used to collect values in a form with method="get"."

ok, thats the missing link, there are globals and superglobals!

thnx

$_GET is a superglobal

One caveat: if you make a function dependent upon $GLOBAL, it is effectively the same as using a "global" variable declaration within the function: it is now closely coupled with the application code and thus inherits all the same problems that cause most developers to eschew the use of "global" (re-usability issues, testing issues, potential for nasty bugs issues, etc.)

The "standard" super-global arrays such as $_POST and $_GET aren't quite as bad, as they are, well, standard. But even then using them directly within a function may be less than desirable, as opposed to passing the necessary variables in the function parameters, whether by copy or by reference.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    One caveat: if you make a function dependent upon $GLOBAL, it is effectively the same as using a "global" variable declaration within the function: it is now closely coupled with the application code and thus inherits all the same problems that cause most developers to eschew the use of "global" (re-usability issues, testing issues, potential for nasty bugs issues, etc.)

The "standard" super-global arrays such as $_POST and $_GET aren't quite as bad, as they are, well, standard. But even then using them directly within a function may be less than desirable, as opposed to passing the necessary variables in the function parameters, whether by copy or by reference.
    So the conclusion is: Don't use globals?!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanluca View Post
    So the conclusion is: Don't use globals?!
    I won't say never, ever use them; but generally speaking it's almost always better not to in terms of re-usability and all that other stuff. About the only time I'd say not to worry about it is if you are writing a quick, one-off script that you never expect to re-use in any way or have to maintain.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

ok, thnx a lot for explaining!!

Thread Information