www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: E-Mail / Server Question

E-Mail / Server Question

Hello,

I am building a website for a client. He currently has a website setup and is live, but the new website is on a different hosting server.

So when we launch the new site, obviously we are going to repoint the nameservers to the new hosting account.

However, this client wants to use his current e-mail server on his old hosting account, even after the new site is live.

Is there anyway to launch this new website and allow him to keep his current e-mail settings?

Or once the domain has been pointed to the new hosting server, does that mean he MUST use the new server's e-mail settings?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Hi, mail exchange (MX) records which points to email server(s) are completely independent from A (or CNAME) records which points to the web server. So yes, you can move your client's website to a different web servers, and keep his email as it is.

Support Chat software for your website

Hello chris22

Thanks for your reply.

Question: I am at register.com right now, and want to point just the domain name to the hosting server (leaving all mail stuff completely alone). I notice there is an option to edit both the A record and the CNAME record. Should I change them both?

Hi, please post your domain name (or send me a PM), so I can have a look how it is currently configured and what to change. (note: I don't need/want any login details to register.com, just the domain name).

Hi Chris22, sorry for the delay in responding.

The URL is www.gem-tech.com

(note: this is the old site URL, the new site is at http://gem-tech.com.mytempweb.com )

At the moment you have two A records like:
    Code:
    gem-tech.com       A   64.29.151.221
    www.gem-tech.com   A   64.29.151.221
    64.29.151.221 is the IP address of your old web server.

You will need to change that IP to your new web server (216.167.199.109), so it will look like:

Code:
    gem-tech.com       A   216.167.199.109
    www.gem-tech.com   A   216.167.199.109
    It seems to me, you don't have any CNAME records, so don't worry about that.

Thread Information