dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can I use a cron job to do this?

Can I use a cron job to do this?

I would like to set up a system where every time I have a new customer on my site I send them an email a few days after their purchase to ask for some feedback. I would like to send them another email a few weeks later and a few weeks after that.

I wanted to do this via aweber, but it looks like I can only use their form. (I posted earlier about this.) But, the more I read I think I can do this with cron jobs and it won't cost me anything.

So, do I understand this right? I am thinking I can set up a cron job to run at a certain time each day. The job would run a script that would make a list out of every customer who made a purchase 3 days ago and send them an email. Then, it would make a list out of every customer who made a purchase 3 weeks ago and send them a different email. etc....

Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by DrMarie View Post
    I would like to set up a system where every time I have a new customer on my site I send them an email a few days after their purchase to ask for some feedback. I would like to send them another email a few weeks later and a few weeks after that.

I wanted to do this via aweber, but it looks like I can only use their form. (I posted earlier about this.) But, the more I read I think I can do this with cron jobs and it won't cost me anything.

So, do I understand this right? I am thinking I can set up a cron job to run at a certain time each day. The job would run a script that would make a list out of every customer who made a purchase 3 days ago and send them an email. Then, it would make a list out of every customer who made a purchase 3 weeks ago and send them a different email. etc....

Does this make sense?
    Yes. In fact in my working career, I have written such programs for a lot of business requirements. I call them back-end batch processing programs. I believe a lot of organizations use this simple strategy to fulfill their business requirements.

The only down-side to such strategy is the time lag due to the job only triggered on certain time of the day or week or whatever. So depending on your business requirements, it may work for some while it may not work for some, especially for requirements that need immediate processing.

yes you can set up a cron job to do all that for you.

'in theory' all you would need to do is write the php script to do all that as a 'one off' job and then submit that php script as a cron job on your web server to run at whatever intervals you specify. How you create cron jobs will depend on your web hosting account.

Thread Information