www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help! Calling regex's test twice returns opposite results!

Help! Calling regex's test twice returns opposite results!

If you call the below code, it will incorrectly print "true, false" when it should be "true, true". WHy is that? How do I fix this?

Code:
    isCapitalLetter = /[A-Z]/g;

//Incorrectly alerts "true,true"
    alert( isCapitalLetter.test( "lineHeight" ) + "," + isCapitalLetter.test( "lineHeight" ) );

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    If you call the below code, it will incorrectly print "true, false" when it should be "true, true". WHy is that? How do I fix this?

Code:
    isCapitalLetter = /[A-Z]/g;

//Incorrectly alerts "true,true"
    alert( isCapitalLetter.test( "lineHeight" ) + "," + isCapitalLetter.test( "lineHeight" ) );
    I don't know why but if you just use isCapitalLetter = /[A-Z]/; It works ok. I think the g option has a role to play. In most regex, g means to search globally hmmm.......

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    When you use the g flag, it sets the lastIndex property to mark the position to resume searching. Either don't use the flag or between uses run:
    Code:
    isCapitalLetter.lastIndex = 0

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the problem was the "g". It not only searches globally but caches the last position and saves it across "test" calls.

Thread Information