dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web safe colours - are they still current

Web safe colours - are they still current

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and glad I found them - very useful I hope to visit as often as I can.

I have a question about web safe colours. Is it still important to use them. Computers now are more capable of reproducing colours I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) then they were say 10 years ago, so would anyone say that it is still an important consideration to use them. Or maybe just depending on your target audience? If for example you were running a charity site where people might view the site in countries where lower spec computers were only affordable, maybe then?

Any advice would be apprciated.

Once again, Google is your friend and will lead you to this.
    Still it's smart to keep it into consideration in particular if you want to use RGB images next to HEX colour. Plus the quality of monitors tends to differer; I remember once having to work on a PC monitor that completely blinded me (and no way to adapt the saturation, brightness and what not…)
    Hope this helps.

Thanks very much Pris. I'm wondering if it's not assumption though for the W3C to say "This is not important today, since most computers can display millions of different colors. Anyway, here is the list:..." Maybe in uk and other parts of Europe and the states, but I'm wondering if there are not still many people in other countries with not such up to date systems. I don't know for sure, so I'd like to hear if anyone has any knowledge or opinons about that.

Even mobile devices show many more colors than when the "web safe colors" were heavily used.

I know in the south of Europe people have older PCs/monitors and even dial-in is not unusual, though less common than a couple of years ago (I worked for a Spanish company and had to keep such things into account). Pretty sure the same, and lower, standards apply elsewhere. IMO, stay on the safe side and use a restricted colour palette.

I'm wondering if it's not assumption though for the W3C to say "This is not important today, since most computers can display millions of different colors. Anyway, here is the list:..."
    Probably best not to confuse the W3C with W3Schools

Even most "older" devices will have a far greater colour range than this at this point. These days you should be safe to use the full RGB range. Of course, stick to good practice in design - such as a good amount of contrast in your designs. Web-safe or not, for example, there's no point in having a 000000 background with 006600 text - might look okay on your fancy new, properly configured, back-lit monitor - but a CRT's most probably just going to show a big solid block of black.

Thanks very much everyone for your feedback, much appreciated

You can always use a 1x1 px jpg in a non-hex colour to be on the safe side. And there's also aRGB.

Thread Information