dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need some advice for a CMS.

Need some advice for a CMS.

Good day.

I wanting to setup an information web site to drive traffic and generate advertising revenue. I am looking for the correct tools to do it. Before I go ahead and start it's creation I want to find something that will be capible of fulilling all the needs of the web site.

The site needs to be driven by a CMS. I have some limited experiance with are Joomla, Druple and wordpress. It may be that Joomla and Druple possibly even word press could fulfill these needs via plugins and moduals, although I would probably stay away from Wordpress due to is blog type nature and that is not what I am after.

Requierments

1. CMS
    2. Advertising
    3. Maps
    4. Media
    5. News agrigator

1. CMS
    The cms does not need to be overly complicated. It needs to allow me to create sperate pages as well as menu items for each page. Menu items should be avalible site wide as well as the option to create page specific menu items. The CMS should also be able to perform the specfied functions below.

2. Advertising
    Advertising banners should be able to be displayed in designated areas of the page. Idealy I would like a system which would allow a user to to log in to the system upload advertising banners a Duration should be selectable for the length of time the banner would be avalible 1 week 2 week a date range etc. This should calculate a payment amount to be confirmed via paypal.

I would via the CMS be able to set the date and price ranges for diffrent advertising areas on the page.

3. Maps intergratoin.
    I would like to be able to insert address into a databse via the CMS (manualy or import via csv, or something simliar). I should be able to set a flag for each address that would catogrise it. I should then be able enter a post code / area and tick a catogry or multiple catogrys and have place marks show up on the google map via in the location of the area. A distance radius would be needed as a filter for this as well.

I would like for Users to be able to enter new locations into the site. with or with out registration to the page (undecided yet) possibly with a holding area that would then require the location entered to be confirmed.

4. Media

I would like to be able to insert media in to any page on the site either via a direct upload an inbed link from places like youtube vimeo, flicker, etc.

5. News Agrigator

Would want to be able to pull in news feeds then have those news feeds fed into a new news feed. I would want to specifi what would make up the new news feed eg: latest two entries from feeds a b and c creates new feed. Latest single entry form x y z creates new feed.

This is my basic critera at the moment and it may evolve some what. If any one has some suggestions on what I should be looking at using that would be helpfull as well as what I would expect to pay for some one to build me a custom CMS specifcaly for this task.

Thanks for your comments.

You Have to use drupal, this CMS is best for all.. it has been more futures and SEO related also..

are you going to have many users sign up to use the site? is the site a portal with user interaction and social interaction? if yes, then Drupal (if you know what you are doing) or Joomla (if you dont know what you are doing) i think would be good picks.

if you and maybe only a few select others are going to be adding and managing content on the website, and you dont need users to register (commenting is fine, but not user profiles and such) then you could do all this with wordpress which has a much lower learning curve then Drupal.

1) Drupal and Wordpress are both CMS so CHECK
    2) Advertising space is based on your layout, which you design so thats easy enough. there are bunch of free themes for both that advertising space if you dont want to design it yourself so problem so CHECK
    3) You can use google maps integration to accomplish this. CHECK
    4) Both support this, with even more media options with free plugins CHECK
    5) There are free RSS reader PHP scripts that can be easily modified to do this. there are ton of rss feed plugins for both platforms, but this might be easier to do from a script to customize your needs of only 2 stories per feed and multiple feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ecmcircle View Post
    Hi,
    ya...! I agree with all your points.But Drupal CMS also contains many features..Drupal CMS is open source which means the code is freely available to anyone to use and modify. This means no license fees and no vendor lock in.Drupal CMS is supported by a passionate community of thousands of developers who continuously work to enhance the functionality and security of Drupal to enterprise levels and beyond.*.
    Thanks.

im not sure if you are spam or serious... and even though I do prefer drupal over joomla, all three (drupal, joomla, and wordpress) are open source and have those same perks.

if anything an argument could be made to say the drupal community is the smaller of the 3. but thats not what I'm here to say. just to correct the implication made that drupal is open source and the others arent, which of course is NOT true.

Any of the three are good choices of CMS's. They've all been highly accepted and well taken care of by their communities so they are all at a very high level right now. For some reason, ecmcircle prefers Drupal - fair enough, to each his own. I personally prefer WordPress, I think the learning curve is a bit smaller than what you'd be looking at for Joomla or Drupal. You need to find out what YOUR preference is (just like everybody else on this board).

All three of these systems can handle pretty much anything you want to throw at them because they've been so highly developed and well looked after, but what it's going to boil down to is personal preference - which is why it's hard to ask people what the "best" CMS is because everybody tends to have their own biases.

Most importantly, when you do finally choose one, understand that if you learn it to a high level develop a deep understanding of it, then you will likely continue to develop with your chosen CMS when you develop any other projects in the future and will be biased towards this CMS as well and could possibly throw out the same rhetoric that ecmcircle has in this thread.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just reread ecmcircle's last post in this thread (#4) and anybody could easily simply replace the occurrences of Drupal with Joomla or Wordpress in that post and there would be no arguments from anyone. Like varix said, the exact same thing could be said of all three.

Thread Information