dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: php and mysql looking into the active directory

php and mysql looking into the active directory

people at phpbuilder seem very reluctant to help me...

I've had a look round these boards but i'm at a bit of a loss - i'm doing an intranet at work and was planning on doing a database for all the employees. it then occured to me that i could use the active directory, since all the users are in there already. I think i need to use LDAP, but i'm thinking that i really need to have MySQL look into the active directory so that i can include it in my queries.

Is there a way that i can do something akin to the "linking tables" that you can do with access, only link the active directory into MySQL?

If not, and i have to go down the PHP route, then how do i go about using the ldap functions (are there tutorials around? i cant find them!) to get the info into my web page?

I'm trying to do things like employee movement lists, so would want to do things like putting a username into my MySQL database from the active directory, and similarly get an employee name from the active directory by giving it a username from the database.

Any help, advice greatly received.

If you are trying to get usernames, it sounds like you'd be better off using ADSI's WinNT:// functions rather than LDAP. I've been rooting around the ADSI world for a couple of weeks, looking at making a portal for my intranet, too. From what I've read, it sounds like you should go w/ WinNT:// because LDAP is mostly used for looking at Microsoft Exchange Server stuff.

sorry - forgot to mention that i'm using win 2k server. Does winnt:// still work? and if so, in what context should i use it? Is it like accessing a directory, or is it slightly more complicated than that? and where can i get a tutorial / view the manual on it?

Many thanks anyway - you've been a lot more help than any of the other boards i've posted this on!

Kinda limited in tutorials on the web, but you can pick up some examples at www.15seconds.com
    You're welcome

Hi...John. I have a similar requirement.

I have a user table in MYSQL database

I want the email id field in this table to be updated once a week by looking up values from Active Directory.

Please advice how can i achieve this.

Thanks.

Thread Information