dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE7 review needed

Hybrid View

IE7 review needed

I'm close to finishing up the redesign for my online portfolio but am not sure about the outcome in IE7. In Adobe BrowserLab and NetRenderer it seems like the hyphenated text (see image, #1) is missing
    A live test would be the only way to know, but "unfortunately" I don't have access to a machine running IE7. That's why I need your guys/gals help.

(The percentage of IE7 users on my current site is ±5%, but it seems like a bad idea to make it impossible for them to read background info)

Please note that if you'd check the design there's a difference in #2's appearance (see image) in different browsers (roll-over effect in al browsers but IE, tilted text in many browsers but not all, wonky CSS "circle" in Opera). Also note that I need to do some more work on the backend, it's jQuery hell right now.

Betasite
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pris; 07-21-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Your link gives me a 404 error.

IE 7 is a challenge. You can actually download all of the IE's at this site:

http://finalbuilds.edskes.com/iecollection.htm

Also, the AOL browser is actually IE 7 so if you want just to download that you can see what the site looks like.

No machine running IE8? (has developer option to view in IE7 compatibility mode)

@svidgen: The problem is that I don't have a Windows machine (working on OSX) and M$ stopped developing IE for Mac ages ago. Netrenderer and co. simulate IE and don't offer the possibility to test things live.

@J2NYC: the index page shows a design of a 404 page, maybe that causes some confusion. Try this.

Doesn't osx have virtual machine software for it? That'd be my suggestion, loadup an old install of winxp or something and run IE natively, and should run fast (assuming you have an intel mac).

Thanks Jarrod1937, installing Bootcamp is not an option right now though. If someone with IE could just check if the hyphened text loads I'll know enough to continue.
    Thanks for your help.

IE7 seems more or less defunct, but my clients come from the art and cultural field and unfortunately use pretty outdated technology (Netscape 4, seriously). I no longer develop for IE6, but 7 is still necessary.
    Last edited by Pris; 07-21-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Here's a screen shot from the AOL browser, which is IE 7.

http://www.judyjudd.com/ie7shot.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot J2NYC, that sure helps!

Thread Information